Help me choose an extremely small low powered computer

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Help me choose an extremely small low powered computer

Post by sthayashi » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:55 am

I've been put into an unusual situation at work where I need to spec out a machine that is extremely low powered, is very low profiled, can boot windows and has one PCI or Cardbus slot (PCMCIA Type-III, I think). Being powerable by a 24V source would be extremely ideal, but not entirely necessary.

Cost should ideally be kept minimal for obvious reasons (we're not made out of money), but should not be a limiting factor.

I was considering one of the Via or Geode platforms, but I realized that I have no idea on the total power draw of these systems. A laptop is not out of the question, but if you have a laptop suggestion, please tell me a good make and model. In the back of my mind, I'm fairly convinced that a windows-bootable system can be lower powered than a normal laptop, especially since we don't need a monitor here.

This machine will more or less be unattended, so no tricks using 8rdavcore or CrystalCPUID (yes, I know that they can be run at boot with the proper flags, but I don't think I want to go there).

To give you an idea of how low powered I'm looking for, 60W total system draw is too much. 45W is okay. Less is even better.

I realize that this is somewhat off topic, but low powered and silent go hand in hand with each other, hence the posting in System Advice rather than Off-Topic. Mods, if you feel otherwise, you have my apologies.

PM me if you'd like to hear more on WHY I need this system. I don't want to go into too detail much on a public forum. Also, if you're familiar with non-standard data rates over RS-422, please PM me.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:31 am

I've found a site that actually HAS tested the power draw of a Via system.

http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews/powerangel/index2.php.

Interesting results to anyone that cares.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:17 pm

Big Bruin only measured the "running" power draw. If you boot a typical VIA Epia system (mobo, 1 stick of memory, 3.5"HD, slimline optical drive) it needs more for a short time. (As all systems do.) The often used 55W morex brick+DC/DC PSU's are just powerfull enough for booting such a system. Change the slimline optical drive for a full size (5.25") optical drive and the system won't boot anymore.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:54 pm

Yes, I'm familiar and aware of the peak draw at boot and was planning to use a 2.5" drive anyways, if even that (CF boot and/or a possible wireless diskless Windows system would be even better).

The only reason for windows is because we're currently tied to devices that only have windows drivers. This computer's sole task is to operate one device for a mobile application. The lower powered it is running, the longer our batteries will last.

Thanks for the information update on the peak power draw of a Via system.