Need help before I buy...

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

need_quiet

Need help before I buy...

Post by need_quiet » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:03 pm

Hi. I live in a studio apartment, so getting my PC as close to silent as possible it pretty important to me. After going though the message boards, I've come up with this system that I was hoping you could look at and let me know if you see any potential problems or if you'd do things differently. Any help would be appreciated.

*Case - Lian-Li PC-V1100
*Power Supply- COOLMAX 480W Fanless Model "CF-480B"
*Motherboard - ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939
*CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3500+
*CPU Fan/Sink - ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm fan
*Memory - Corsair TWINX1024-3200LL 1GB DDR400 XMS3200
*Hard Drive - Seagate 7200.8 250GB 7200RPM SATA NCQ
*Video Card - XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT, 256MB
*Video Card Sink - Arctic Cooling, NV silencer 5
*Sound Card - Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
*Speakers - Logitech Z-5300e
*DVD-Rom - Samsung 16X DVD±RW, Dual Layer

yeha

Post by yeha » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:20 pm

i strongly suggest a fanmate for the nv silencer, i can't see a case fan listed, and you'll have to do something about the chipset cooler on that motherboard - i believe some people have had luck fitting the shorter side of a zalman nb47j running up/down so the vga card doesn't touch it.

with any luck, the seagate will be the loudest component. suspend that or encase it in something, and the fanmated nv silencer will most likely be the prime suspect again.

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:25 pm

Overall, that's not a bad setup...but just a couple more questions about what you intend for it to do. Heavy gaming? Just internet browsing/MP3 playing? Unless you plan to add a second 6800GT later, I would forego the SLI board, as the NF4 ultra models have the exact same feature set and run $40-$50 less. If you get a fanless PSU you're going to need to mount a fan in the PSU tunnel (I think it'll fit 120mm, so look for a Globe or Nexus). You can check out the article here for a little more information on that topic.

Also, the Zalman is a very good heatsink, but you might want to consider either going for the Aluminum-Copper hybrid (much lighter, much less torque on the mobo) or as many other people on this forum will tell you, go for an XP-120 or XP-90.

Lastly, the V1100 is a rather large (and expensive) case. Unless you plan on adding several more HDDs and optical drives, or some crazy suspension/ducting mods, you might want something a little smaller and cheaper. There are many, many options with this one...

...Oh, and Welcome to SPCR! :D

GrahamGarside

Post by GrahamGarside » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:52 pm

I recomend a maxtor 10 over the 7200.8, I did use to think they were noisier but I've actually noticed that they are a bit quieter than seagates, especially the sata models which arent set to quiet mode