Thermaltake Silent Cat.....anyone heard of it?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mastertigurius

Thermaltake Silent Cat.....anyone heard of it?

Post by mastertigurius » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:20 am

Tt fan

That link should take you to a store selling a Thermaltake "Silent Cat" (white, none the less).
Has anyone experienced this fan in action? The specs sure seem promising for a 7V-run.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:48 am

1) Search the forums for "LAC" or "augmented" and you'll find plenty of threads about this type of fan. Bottom line: it's over-hyped for what it does.

2) Search the forums for "thermatake" and you find plenty of threads about this company. Bottom line: they tend to over-spec everything so it's best to pay very little attention to their specs. Generally, their stuff is nothing but cheap, lower performing copies of other manufacturers hardware.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:49 am

It's a Panaflo FBL09A12M1A, except with wildly different specs. No way that it's 21dBA

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:49 am

Alas, the Search function claims another victim. If you had searched for "thermaltake silent cat" you would have found this thread from a year ago. And even that thread is a retread of previous discussions. I'll even quote my own reply from the end of that thread:
I wrote:...that is a Panaflo fan that Tt relabels as their own.

It's an FBL series fan, and the design is approaching a decade old, not exactly the "new technology" that Tt markets it as.

The spec's that Tt lists are so far from reality as to be approaching outright lies. The CFM listed puts the fan as a FBL09A12U1A which has a rating of 47 dBa. (according to panaflo)

The 80mm FBL-L1A has a rating of 17cfm/ 26dBa, which pales in comparison to the "standard" FBA-L1A's rating of 24cfm/ 21dBa. Less air with more noise= crappy fan.