My first silent system!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Dalirama

My first silent system!

Post by Dalirama » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:05 am

Well after many hours reading this forum and my old PIII800 biting the dust it's time to get my first silent system.

This is what I've narrowed it down to so far:

AMD 64 3500 (Venice)
Thermaltake Sonic Tower + Papst 120mm
ABIT AN8 SLI MB (passive)
Corsair TWINX-3200C2 (2x 512MB Kit)
Gigabyte NX66T128D (passive)
Pioneer DVR-109
Seagate NCQ 160GB SATA
Antec Sonata II

Is the papst 120 suitable for the optional front fan in the Sonata II?
As I'm in Perth, Australia our summers can quite hot so I'm a bit concerned about the reports of the temps of gigabyte being too high. Will the two case fans suffice?
Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for improving silence in the system?

Thanks in advance!

Dalirama

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:25 am

See if the Scythe Ninja might be available from an Australia dealer. The Sonic Tower has gotten mixed reviews, plus it weighs a lot. If possible, maybe switch the Papst out for a Nexus, though I've heard there's a lack of dealers for this fan in Australia.

Likif
Friend of SPCR

Post by Likif » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:32 pm

What PSU?

A Samsung HD is likely to be more quiet than a Seagate. No guarantees, though.

If you use the Sonic Booom! Tower heatsink, you should be very careful when moving it around. Some would probably take it off before moving the computer, then put it back on when moved, out of caution.

Dalirama

Post by Dalirama » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:48 pm

Shadowknight wrote:See if the Scythe Ninja might be available from an Australia dealer. The Sonic Tower has gotten mixed reviews, plus it weighs a lot. If possible, maybe switch the Papst out for a Nexus, though I've heard there's a lack of dealers for this fan in Australia.
Looked online but can't find any Aussie resellers selling the Scythe Ninja's yet. Same goes for the Nexus fans. Closest is New Zealand. We seem to miss out a bit down here. If any Aussies do read this and know a reseller who does sell each please post their details!

Likif the PSU I was going to use was the one in the Sonata II which according to their website is a "specially designed low-noise SmartPower 2.0 450W ATX12V v2.01 power supply". No reviews to confirm that yet so I'll assess it once I get the case unless SPCR posts one soon.