Computer down!!!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bp8727

Computer down!!!

Post by bp8727 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:08 pm

I have a AMD 64 ATHLON. I unplugged it for a short period of time. When I plugged it back in, it would not power up. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?[/b]

Aard

Post by Aard » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:41 pm

Ok, does it POST? If you don't know what that means its Power On Self Test, its the series of beeps your computer makes when you turn it on.

If not here are the obvious things to check:

1) Is everything plugged in? This sounds really dumb but the number of times computers are 'broken' because someone forgets the power cable is astonishing.

2) The corollary to this is the power switch on the back, is it on?

3) Internal connections such as the 24 pin connector and the power button itself, are they all plugged in to their appropriate spots?

4) Is the PSU alive or dead? Look at this video to see the general procedure about how to jumpstart a PSU, although I'd recommend a multimeter over a paper clip (please do remember to not handle the clip while the power is connected, also consider insulation tape on the clip). As a last note just leave the PSU in your computer no need to disconnect anything apart from your 24 pin connector.

If the computer does POST your motherboards manual (if you don't have it try online) should have POST codes which will tell you what the problem is.

Hope that helps.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:52 am

(please do remember to not handle the clip while the power is connected, also consider insulation tape on the clip)
Why? PS-ON is a 5V line which is drawn to ground potential (by say, shorting it to a ground line with a paperclip..) to turn the PSU on. It's not exactly dangerous.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:48 pm

yeah, you don't need to insulate anything, because the 5v is inactive unless it meets a ground..done it enough times on my own power supplies.

the PSU may have died, that's plausible, but not the most likely situation.

bp8727

Post by bp8727 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:52 pm

I have tried the jumper and had no success. Could the power supply be bad, and if it is, how can I tell?

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:25 pm

if the paperclip mod didn't work, than the power supply is dead basically. that 5v mod is what turns it on. if it can't turn on, there's not much you can do unless you've got a good background in electronics.

power supplies have fuses, there's a chance the fuze is just blown, however the fuze may be soldered to the PCB inside the PSU, it may just snap in. i wouldn't be able to tell you where to look or what to look for, because there's no single way that it would look.

you're best shot is looking around on Newegg for a similar PSU. you'll have to look at the PSU to determine 20 or 24 pin ATX, and the wattage. most new power supplies have everything you'll need and more, its mostly the wattage you need to check (shouldn't be over 300W, maybe 350 at the most).

Aard

Post by Aard » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:14 am

Why? PS-ON is a 5V line which is drawn to ground potential (by say, shorting it to a ground line with a paperclip..) to turn the PSU on. It's not exactly dangerous.
I always advise people to be cautious with electricity it prevents the 'argh you gave me an electric shock' debate later, that and people are fallible and liable to make mistakes.
I have tried the jumper and had no success. Could the power supply be bad, and if it is, how can I tell?
As has been said, your PSU is pretty much dead. If its under warranty time to return it otherwise start shopping around. SPCR does a fairly good job at PSU reviews (I'm sure hardcore overclockers want more wiggly ripple graphs or something) so maybe the best place to start is here