"Passive" CPU cooling in NSK3480

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PeterWelzien

"Passive" CPU cooling in NSK3480

Post by PeterWelzien » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:03 am

Hi. I'm planning on building a new server since the current one is far too noisy. I plan to use the Antec NSK3480 case and an Athlon 64 X2 4850E 45W CPU. Would it be possible to cool the CPU using just a Thermalright HR-01 Plus (without fan) and the case fan?

The only other components in the case will probably be two harddrives. One in the top compartment and one on the bottom of the case.

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: "Passive" CPU cooling in NSK3480

Post by victorhortalives » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:36 am

PeterWelzien wrote:Hi. I'm planning on building a new server since the current one is far too noisy. I plan to use the Antec NSK3480 case and an Athlon 64 X2 4850E 45W CPU. Would it be possible to cool the CPU using just a Thermalright HR-01 Plus (without fan) and the case fan?

The only other components in the case will probably be two harddrives. One in the top compartment and one on the bottom of the case.
I can't quote the Thermalright HR-01 Plus (without fan), but I have this case and CPU and I use a minja with no other fan than a Scythe 1200 exhaust case fan running at 600rpm or so.

Drives are a SSD system drive and a 2.5in Seagate/Scythe Box combo data drive, both in the lower section. (see PorkChop's post on how to suspend a drive against the front)

Works fine, but then I don't do much gaming so not much other heat expended. The video card is GeForce 7300.

jessekopelman

Re: "Passive" CPU cooling in NSK3480

Post by jessekopelman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:34 pm

PeterWelzien wrote:I plan to use the Antec NSK3480 case and an Athlon 64 X2 4850E 45W CPU. Would it be possible to cool the CPU using just a Thermalright HR-01 Plus (without fan) and the case fan?
Yes, on the cooling. The only problem is that there is some uncertainty on whether the HR-01+ fits in this case. You definitely have to be careful with the motherboard selection, as the socket needs to be a good distance from the board edge (not much room between board edge and partition between compartments).

PeterWelzien

Post by PeterWelzien » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:39 am

Are there any other heatsinks with less strict requirements on socket position that are capable of cooling the CPU without a fan?

BTW. I'm planning on using an Asus M2N68-CM motherboard. I haven't been able to find any information regarding the use of an HR-01+ on that particular board.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:03 pm

PeterWelzien wrote:Are there any other heatsinks with less strict requirements on socket position that are capable of cooling the CPU without a fan?

BTW. I'm planning on using an Asus M2N68-CM motherboard. I haven't been able to find any information regarding the use of an HR-01+ on that particular board.
In the NSK3480 you are always going to have to be wary of socket location if you want to use a big heatsink and all potentially passive heatsinks are big. The particular fit issue for the HR-01+ is its height, however. It is almost a cm taller than the Ninja and that might be a couple mm too far. Speaking of which, the Ninja will certainly get your passive cooling job done. Less money too . . .

PeterWelzien

Post by PeterWelzien » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:42 am

Thanks for the tip. You wouldn't happen to know if the Ninja fits on the M2N68-CM? I've been searching the web for information but come up short.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:31 pm

Are you firm on the NSK3480? It has limited hard drive expansion, something that may be an issue in the future.

PeterWelzien

Post by PeterWelzien » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:44 am

I really like the size of the case. And I don't see myself ever using more than two harddrives. The only reason I use two drives instead of one is RAID1. I've already lost a lot of files when my harddrive crashed, I don't want it happening again.

maf718

Post by maf718 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:09 am

I don't see any reason why the HR-01+ will not fit with that motherboard and case.

The heatsink is 110mm wide; if you look at a picture of the Asus M2N68-CM it is obvious to the naked eye that the distance from the centre of the processor socket to the edge of the motherboard is greater than 55mm. The gap between the top of the heatsink and side panel will be quite small(about 10mm) but it does fit, I have seen pictures of several builds using a HR-01+ and NSK3480.

The Ninja is slightly wider than the Thermalright, but would likely also fit without a problem.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:59 am

Those big heatsinks will cool it just fine. This small copper heatsink could almost cool my 65W CPU passively, it needed just a little airflow.

PeterWelzien

Post by PeterWelzien » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:56 am

If I understand it right, I need an S-bracket to fit the HR-01 with the correct orientation on an Asus M2N68-CM (socket AM2) motherboard. Unfourtunately I haven't been able to locate an S-bracket here in Sweden, so I'll probably try to find another suitable heatsink.

eit412
Patron of SPCR

Post by eit412 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:32 am

Any heatsink you want should fit in hte case unless you have a video card that the heatsink wraps around to the back. I have a ninja on a Intel DG33BUC in an antec 3480, and my CPU scoket is much closer to the top of the mother board than yours. You also will not have the problem of the CPU heatsink covering your northbridge heat sink. You should be fine with any tower heat sink. You would not even need to have them pointed in hte optimal direction with such a cool CPU (I run a Q6600 with only the back case fan if I don't have my graphics card in).

yuckhil

Post by yuckhil » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:40 am

Bit off-topic, but you might consider the Silverstone TJ08. It's only a few cm taller and deeper than the NSK3480 and has two 120 mm fans. I discovered it only after I bought an NSK3480, which if this helps, keeps my 4850e at approx. ambient room temperature with stock cooling and the 120 mm fan set to slow.

I reckon Antec has squeezed the NSK3480 too much, although build quality is excellent. Your optical drive and power supply will welcome the extra depth in the TJ08. Also, the power supply is optional, so maybe you can buy a separate power supply with a 120 mm fan.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:39 pm

yuckhil wrote:Bit off-topic, but you might consider the Silverstone TJ08. It's only a few cm taller and deeper than the NSK3480 and has two 120 mm fans.
General opinion is that TJ-08 is harder to silence than NSK3480, because of the mesh in front. Those really serious about silence don't run front fans, so the 92mm vs. 120mm intake issue is moot. Also, I think the depth difference between the two is significant. Personally (as a NSK3300 owner), I agree the NSK3480 is a bit more squished than it needs to be, but the only dimension I'd increase is height.

bing

Post by bing » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:59 pm

PeterWelzien wrote:I really like the size of the case. And I don't see myself ever using more than two harddrives. The only reason I use two drives instead of one is RAID1. I've already lost a lot of files when my harddrive crashed, I don't want it happening again.
Don't forget, RAID is not a backup. If you really want to be safe keep the drives separate and clone them periodically with Acronis Ti or the like. It's easy as pie to pull one side off that 3480 and re-plug the sata cables from time to time. To be REALLY safe use a third drive and rotate it off-site.
PeterWelzien wrote:If I understand it right, I need an S-bracket to fit the HR-01 with the correct orientation on an Asus M2N68-CM (socket AM2) motherboard. Unfourtunately I haven't been able to locate an S-bracket here in Sweden, so I'll probably try to find another suitable heatsink.
I'm sure someone here would ship you an S-Clip if you asked nicely and covered the full shipping charge. Alternatively, you might try Gary at http://sidewindercomputers.com ,,, he's great to deal with and he just might do it for you.

PeterWelzien

Post by PeterWelzien » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:53 pm

I know RAID isn't a replacement for proper backups. But at least it protects me against mechanical harddrive failures.

I've located and ordered an S-bracket+HR-01+. I've also ordered everything else I need, case, mobo, CPU, memory and harddrives.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

PeterWelzien

Post by PeterWelzien » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:51 am

It was no problems at all fitting the HR-01+ in the case. I've got ~2 cm clearance to the PSU compartment wall and a few mm between the top of the heatsink and the side of the case.

Now I've just got to figure out a good way to mount my two harddrives:
viewtopic.php?t=52560