Advice on a new quiet build?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

spaciousmind

Advice on a new quiet build?

Post by spaciousmind » Tue May 31, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi all, Ive been researching thoroughly on this site lately and want to build a new quiet system:
(please note im in new zealand so these prices are all in $NZD)

This is not a gaming machine so I thought the gpu on the i5 2500k should more than suit my needs. I mainly want to browse the web, watch HD movies, and do a bit of image/video/animation editing and sound recording.

Any information from anyone with experience building in this case or with similar specs would be greatly appreciated.
I want to replace the default case fans with quieter ones (either 120m scyth slipstreams or noctua) and undervolt them, but I am still up in the air about a couple of things, mainly
  • Will I need to get an aftermarket cooler for the CPU or will it be okay without one?
  • How many fans am I going to need to keep this thing cool enough, and where to place them?
    The p183 comes with a mount for a 140m fan on the top, Is it wise to cover this up to reduce noise, or put a 140mm noctua in there (if it can be mounted horizontally). How many other fans minimum will be needed and where to place them?
  • Which fan controller should I get?
    there are a number listed on http://www.computerlounge.co.nz, but I cant find much independent info about them. And do these come with the bits I need to monitor temperatures or is there something else I need for that?
  • Is this going to be easy enough for me to put together by myself properly and safely? (I have never built a PC before but I am pretty careful and have some friends I can maybe hit up if i get stuck on something)

xinaes

Re: Advice on a new quiet build?

Post by xinaes » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:53 pm

Hi, I'm not sure what the status of this is now, the one immediate comment I'd have is that conventional spcr wisdom would advise strongly against the stock cooler.