Help build fanless mini-itx PC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

artbio

Help build fanless mini-itx PC

Post by artbio » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:29 am

Hi am trying to build a completely fanless mini-itx system. But I am afraid I might need to add fans later.

Here are the components:

CASE: Lian-Li PC-Q33
HEATSINK: NOFAN CR-80EH
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790T (TDP 45W)
MOBO: MSI Z97I GAMING AC
PSU: Seasonic X-400 Fanless
RAM: Kingston HX324C11SRK2/16 (2400 MHz)
SSD: Any. Not relevant.

Questions:
Will I be able to run this without any fans on the case?
Should I pick a 35 W TDP CPU instead?
Can I run the RAM at 2400 MHz? Without any fans?
Any reason I should pick the X-460 Fanless PSU instead? As I can get it for only 5 euros more.

Your comments are welcome. Thanks.

quest_for_silence

Re: Help build fanless mini-itx PC

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:13 am

artbio wrote:Questions:
IMHO no and at any rate I would pick a different case, Lian Li enclosures (particularly those with a solid front panel) aren't renowned for their "natural" airflow.

artbio wrote:Should I pick a 35 W TDP CPU instead?
Undervolting and/or underclocking any regular CPU is exactly equivalent to buy any -S or -T SKUs.
Double check whether you do really need an eight-threads CPU.

artbio wrote:Can I run the RAM at 2400 MHz? Without any fans?
Cannot say, but I'd avoid Kingston on principle as they enrolled deceiving practices.

artbio wrote:Any reason I should pick the X-460 Fanless PSU instead? As I can get it for only 5 euros more.
There's neither any substantial reason to pick it, nor one to not pick it: they're about the same unit (same performance, set aside max power) with different caps, at about quite the identical cost.

artbio

Post by artbio » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks a lot for your response.

So what case would you recommend for mini-itx motherboard that fits that heatsink? The NOFAN CR-80EH is rated for 80W TDP without any fans on it.

I don't want to bother undervolting and testing, retesting. As I don't have time for that. I prefer picking a 45W or 35W TDP CPU that works out of the box. I am not choosing that CPU based on the number of threads. It's also the one that has the highest frequency for that TDP. It's clocked higher than the Core i5-4690T. So for the 35W TDP version I would choose the Intel Core i7-4785T, which is clocked higher that the Core i5-4590T. The question here is will I be safe at 45W TDP?

Thanks.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:08 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

Instead of going with a humongous CPU cooler, why not go with a case that acts as the cooler? Some examples:
Akasa Tesla H (NUC, 15W TDP tested)
Akasa Euler (mITX, 55W TDP tested
HDPLEX H5.TODD (uATX, 55W TDP tested)

RAM: Intel's memory controller is fairly speed invariant. Go with DDR1600 or 1833 if similarly priced.

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:44 pm

I have been using two Lian Li cases for ITX, so-called Mini-Q Chassis. You can have a look at my signature. In my experience, most Lian Li's Mini-Q Chassis indeed have the problem of 'airflow obstructed by the front panel', with only a few exceptions such as PC-TU100, PC-TU200 and PC-Q18 where you can see the fronts are covered with mesh structure allowing relatively plentiful airflow.

For example, as far as I can gather from my monitoring of the relationship between CPU temperature and the front fan speed in my Lian Li PC-Q11 chassis, the front fan seems almost useless because of the poor airflow design therein, which recklessly relies on the punctuated (?) tiny strips on side panels. It's surely possible to cool an i5 CPU (at least 3rd generation) with Scythe Big Shuriken 2B along with its splendid slim fan (I can't hear any fan noise unless the CPU is in full load) but I can't even imagine how a fanless configuration would work in Lian Li's chassis (except a few exceptions aforementioned).
quest_for_silence wrote:
artbio wrote:Questions:
IMHO no and at any rate I would pick a different case, Lian Li enclosures (particularly those with a solid front panel) aren't renowned for their "natural" airflow.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:06 pm

artbio wrote:So what case would you recommend for mini-itx motherboard that fits that heatsink? The NOFAN CR-80EH is rated for 80W TDP without any fans on it.

First of all, mind that no fan on the main cooler *means* case fans, as fanless heatsinks require some airflow to be really effective.

At first glance I would think to the INWin D-Frame Mini, to the Cubitek W1, or to the proven Bitfenix Prodigy (even if maybe those enclosures are too large for you). At any rate, with those NoFan coolers (so wide), you have to check by yourself the actual measurements.

Otherwise, you may think to heatsink-style cases, like HDPlex ones, getting rid of the NoFan cooler. Btw, IMVHO the CR-80 looks rather poor, I'd rather the proven CR-95, if possible.

artbio wrote:It's also the one that has the highest frequency for that TDP.

With Haswell you can't avoid thermal testing: the stock auto settings are rather poor, thermal-wise.
Btw, underclocking doesn't require testing, and probably a Core i5-4690K is what I would look at, if I were you.

artbio wrote:The question here is will I be safe at 45W TDP?

IMHO no, because with Haswell lineup the relevant TDP isn't the most limiting factor, but the poor thermal performance of the package, which doesn't like the heat build up of a totally fanless small rig.
With larger (than the Lian Li) enclosures and case fans, IMO you can run the CPU fanless with the CR80: but does it worth?

artbio

Post by artbio » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:23 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I just double checked the PC-Q33. It does not have mesh on the front side, but it does have meshes on both side panels. It can handle heatsinks up to 180 mm in height, which seems to be the height of the NOFAN CR-95C. It has a 120 mm fan on the back. Which I can remove or replace for a more silent one. So it seems to be a good choice at least for the CR-95C.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:29 pm

why are you trying to go fanless? what is the rig being used for?

a box full of fanless components still should have one case fan. imo.

artbio

Post by artbio » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:16 am

Then a fan like the NB-eLoop B12-1 might provide some airflow while minimizing noise:

http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/produ ... ng=EN#tab1

It can replace the PC-Q33 stock fan which is also a 120x120 mm fan.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:41 am

artbio wrote:Then a fan like the NB-eLoop B12-1 might provide some airflow while minimizing noise:

http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/produ ... ng=EN#tab1

It can replace the PC-Q33 stock fan which is also a 120x120 mm fan.
IMHO it's not the best candidate (it's really weak).

artbio

Post by artbio » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:13 am

Thanks quest_for_silence for showing me that.

Then I think the Noiseblocker M12-S1 might be a better option. By browsing the website you refered to, I found that it has better reviews.

Cheers.

artbio

Post by artbio » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:03 pm

I did further research. Found out that CR-95C is too big for mini-itx. mini-itx boards are 170x170 mm. CR-95C has 180 mm diameter. CR-80EH is 155 mm diameter, which might fit depending on the CPU socket placement of the motherboard. I also did some measurements on motherboard pictures on my monitor and found out that the MSI Z97I GAMING AC has the CPU socket too close to the PCIE slot and the CR-80EH will definetly cover it. It might not fit the case too. However the Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 has a more centered CPU socket that seems to fit that heatsink.

Cheers.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:07 pm

artbio wrote:I did further research. Found out that CR-95C is too big for mini-itx. mini-itx boards are 170x170 mm. CR-95C has 180 mm diameter. CR-80EH is 155 mm diameter, which might fit depending on the CPU socket placement of the motherboard. I also did some measurements on motherboard pictures on my monitor and found out that the MSI Z97I GAMING AC has the CPU socket too close to the PCIE slot and the CR-80EH will definetly cover it. It might not fit the case too. However the Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 has a more centered CPU socket that seems to fit that heatsink.

Cheers.
As you said, depends on the placement of the CPU socket, and the case itself, i was able to fit a Nofan95 on a Lian Li Q08 (mini ITX) on MSI motherboard (different placement as the Z97N), see link of the cammi build on my signature, but one thing you need to check is the bottom of the motherboard, as i couldn't fit it on my intel mini itx because of a small plastic thing that didn't allow the back plate to fully be sat correctly on the intel plate.... just check nothing is on the way of the motherboard you chose.
Last edited by Abula on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

artbio

Post by artbio » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I just did some measurements on a picture of a Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 mobo. Had to do some calculations as the picture was not on the real scale. Acording to my measurements and computations the NOFAN CR-80EH extends about 10 mm (=1cm) off one of the sides of the mobo. So it depends on the case. I don't have info on the Lian Li PC-Q33 case to determine the fit. So I had to order the case and mobo first. I will have to wait for both to arrive and do proper measurements. Only then I can choose a heatsink. The CR-95C extends about 23 mm off the mobo. I am afraid it might be too much! Anyway the CR-80EH should be enough for a 45W TDP CPU.

Cheers.

bbalex

Post by bbalex » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:53 am

The CR95-C does not fit any of the current generation mini-ITX motherboards - if you also want to use a video card in the PCIe slot. I've already investigated this, I'm afraid. The closest was the ASRock Z97E-ITX, save for about a couple of millimeters over the shield side, and the problem with the mounting of the backplate, as I described in another thread.

artbio

Post by artbio » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:50 am

Hi again.

The mobo already comes with a backplate on it. I guess the CPU heatsink's backplate must go over that one, right?

Thanks.