I'm back and still looking at a new PC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Greydeathangel

I'm back and still looking at a new PC

Post by Greydeathangel » Sat May 30, 2015 4:14 am

Hi again,
Alright so I'm back, and looking at making that PC that I had wanted.
It was meant to be a Quiet but yet powerful PC that I could play games like the Witcher 3, GTA V, and skyrim (heavily modded) at 1080p at near max setting while maintaining decent FPS.
here's a PC build that I just put together on PCpartspicker, the goal was to make a machine that I could just go to the local store and pickup the parts.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mnt43C

Any real improvements you guys and gals would recommend?

thank again for your time,
Dave

CA_Steve

Re: I'm back and still looking at a new PC

Post by CA_Steve » Sat May 30, 2015 7:17 am

RAM: 2x4GB is enough.

cooler: Spend another $10 and get the Scythe Kotetsu.

GTX 970: 4GB will be useful for high texture GTA5 @1080p, the others are <2GB. Witcher 3 will be the most demanding - you'll see 44-53fps at Ultra settings. Certainly playable.

PSU: your stressed load power is ~ 280W, heavy gaming load ~240W. So, 750W PSU is a little overkill. Decent price, though.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun May 31, 2015 1:27 am

CA_Steve wrote:RAM: 2x4GB is enough.

I'd also say that Crucial does some excellent, standard height 1866/CL9 for about the same money, check it.

CA_Steve wrote:cooler: Spend another $10 and get the Scythe Kotetsu.

+1 (you need a better fan, at any rate, on the 212).

CA_Steve wrote:PSU: your stressed load power is ~ 280W, heavy gaming load ~240W. So, 750W PSU is a little overkill. Decent price, though.

Unfortunately the Super Flower Leadex platform has a minum 650W wattage: said that, given its comparatively high efficiency, that EVGA G2 750 is about as efficient as a Seasonic G-550 or Corsair RM-550 at idle/low loads, while offering more than 300W of fanless operation (though temperature dependant). IMO it's a really good option, for that money I can't think anything better.

Greydeathangel

Post by Greydeathangel » Sun May 31, 2015 6:21 pm

Hi again,
Thanks for all the replies.

Well my plan is to build this machine hopefully this week, and so I plan on going to my local store and pickup the necessary parts.

I was looking at the 16gb of ram only due to the fact that i work on multiple VMs for my schoolwork, last quarter i was using 3 2gb machines, although 8gb did work just fine for them this quarter so i might just only need the 8gb......any suggestions on Crucial 8gb kits?

I did want the Scythe Kotetsu, but local store doesn't carry it, i did think of swaping the fan out for a better one, either a Noctua or Fractal fan that they use for their case fans.

I know a couple of friend who have that PSU and they swear by it.

Thanks again Luca and Steve for replying to my post.
Dave

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun May 31, 2015 11:50 pm

Greydeathangel wrote:any suggestions on Crucial 8gb kits?

Any Tactical/Tracer/Sport/Sport VLP one, BUT NOT the blue heatsinked ones, either 1600 CL8 or 1866 CL9 (the blue ones are either 1600 CL9 or 1866 CL10).

Greydeathangel wrote:I did want the Scythe Kotetsu, but local store doesn't carry it, i did think of swaping the fan out for a better one, either a Noctua or Fractal fan that they use for their case fans.

Before thinking of, look there which fans are actually available: Noctuas are expensive, so that you might buy a better heatsink for the cost of a 212 + a good Noctua fan, while I don't think Fractal 120mm ones are that good when strapped on an heatsink. BTW, if your local store is a Fry's or Micro Center one, or any with an online available inventory, a link to it may help to better advice.

Greydeathangel

Post by Greydeathangel » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:49 am

thanks,
my local store is a Microcenter, it's the one in St.Louis Park, MN.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:28 pm

Greydeathangel wrote:my local store is a Microcenter, it's the one in St.Louis Park, MN.

I didn't find anything suitable in their current inventory, and IMHO spending ~67 dollars for a CM 212 and a Noctua F12 is not the way to go, performance wise, money wise, and IMVHO even noise wise (though, with your proposed mobo, you could use even a better 3 pin fan, like either the Noctua P12, or the Noiseblocker PL2, for ~64 or ~58 bucks total).
If you can use for a while the Intel stock cooler (and you don't have any unknown hindrance), you should order a Scythe Kotetsu for about 40 USD from Amazon or SuperBiiz, as it is a much better option in any respect.

Greydeathangel

Post by Greydeathangel » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Well you might have a point that I should just order up some of the parts from online retailers.

With that in mind what suggestions would you suggest to alter this build to make it "better".

Oh and I saw this video and it made me really laugh my but off, and thought it would be interesting to see if there's a way to make a small pc with the performance requirements that I need. Well maybe not that small....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOGNUSvzjMI

Dave

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:22 pm

Greydeathangel wrote:With that in mind what suggestions would you suggest to alter this build to make it "better".

Your proposed system looks like rather balanced, so that there isn't anything really apparent as the CPU cooler was.

Assuming the OP list is actual and up to date, I think you already checked the actual combo offers at your Microcenter for the mobo and CPU. If not, you may want to: I was told that the relevant savings are applied to any stocked mobo there, so, if I'm not wrong, the ASUS Z97-A USB 3.1 paired with the 4690K might be offered at your local Microcenter for ~315 bucks, I mean, a clearly better mobo spending 42bucks less than the lower combo purchased online.

Greydeathangel wrote:Well maybe not that small....

Squeezing dimensions likely increases costs (and cut corners): do you really want to?