Ncase M1 or Zotac EN980

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Merovanq

Ncase M1 or Zotac EN980

Post by Merovanq » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:51 am

Hi all,

Been looking around for what to get for the next computer, I have some previous experience in PC building but not for a long time so not wanting anything too challenging.

I've looked at the M1 Case and have a selection of parts below. Alternatively I'm trying to decide if the performance improvement is worth it relative to a Zotac Magus EN980 Special Addition (https://www.zotac.com/gb/product/mini_p ... ition#spec) which I'd add 16GB DDR3L-1600 and an Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive.

For both builds I'll hope to add a Samsung 480GB SSD from my exisiting laptop.

Key priority for me is to be able to run at 1440p (ideally like VR and 4k compatibility for future) either my current set up of 2 x AOC2770G4 or a future 34" widescreen with Gsync.

Second key priority is noise level, I'd like something to be virtually silent.

NCase M1 Silver:

CPU - Intel Core i7-6700T 2.8GHz Quad-Core Processor (Selected the T version due to noise/power - any thoughts?)
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (wanted Thunderbolt 3)
Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage - Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Graphics - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card
Power - Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

Thermal compound - artic silver

Anything I'm missing or suggestions on alternates?

I've also looked at the S4 Mini (http://nfc-systems.com/s4-mini/) as that looks very nice but not sure if this would be quiet & powerful enough with their suggested components

Streacom DB4 (http://www.streacom.com/products/db4-fanless-chassis/) I think is gorgeous, but not sure it can have any graphics cards of note in them? Anyone done/seen any builds using this as I can't see any online. Would be very interested if I could get a good enough spec into it.

Jury-Pool-Reject

Re: Ncase M1 or Zotac EN980

Post by Jury-Pool-Reject » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:32 am

You mention 4K, VR, and 1440... I might consider getting the i6700k as CPU. My AIO cpu cooler, the Corsair, will exhaust air out the side panel. The 2 Noctua 120 mm fans I'll prob be getting will intake air from the case bottom. I will replace the stock Corsair 120 mm fans on the AIO with Vardar's... not sure which on yet. (will decide today)

Is that vid card the 'FE' version that exhausts air out the case? Because if you get the Ncase M1 that would be the card to get, imo.

I'm about to start my Mini-ITX build today. I have all components except for the fans that I want.

This build will take me a while as this case is amazingly small. ( scares me...)

BOL...

Merovanq

Post by Merovanq » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:26 am

I've been reading about mobile versions of the chips having a different architecture but being similarly powered in the 10x series. Is this an option to reduce the heat/noise?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:15 am

The mobile Pascal chips are the same as the desktop chips. They use lower power targets / reduce clock rates faster...and you won't see them for sale outside of notebook or all in one.