Advice on small PC for audio, please

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MHP

Advice on small PC for audio, please

Post by MHP » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:54 pm

Audiophile introduction
I am considering putting a small PC into my dedicated stereo room. I'm already playing back my music from files on a NAS, and by changing from a DLNA system to one in which a PC drives the DAC directly (probably through USB), I could use the PC to do DSP on the playback stream, such as a crossover to subs and parametric EQ of the bass for room nodes.

Non-audiophile problem statement
I am thinking of putting together a small powerful PC for my audio room. Requirements:
  1. Absolutely silent, except when the optical drive is running
  2. i7 processor
  3. 8 to 16 Gb RAM
  4. 256 Gb SSD or so
  5. Video not part of the task, so low-end graphics should be OK
  6. Will run Linux, JRiver Media Center, and maybe Roon
I'm experienced with computers (since 1967) but don't want to build one, beyond installing plugins (such as RAM and SSD into a NUC). I looked at what's available now for this task, and I'm bewildered by the huge number of options. My first thought was indeed an Intel NUC. Is that a good choice?

Recommendations, please on where to start and how to narrow down the hardware possibilities.

Thanks!
Mike

CA_Steve

Re: Advice on small PC for audio, please

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:54 pm

There is no way you need an i7 for audio files. Heck, guys with DAWs only need an i7 when they are recording orchestral levels of tracks.

Is there a specific form factor you are looking for? Fit in a stereo rack? Mini-tower?

MHP

Post by MHP » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:54 pm

Regarding processor: Roon recommends an i5 for their software today. I'd like to keep the computer for at least 5 yrs, so I am thinking, it's cheaper to overspec it now, rather than replace it sooner. Also, I've never said, "I wish I had bought a slower computer."

Regarding form factor: I'd prefer a small horizontal shape, to blend with other audio equipment. Something like a NUC case would be fine. I expect to keep it running continuously, headless if practical.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:01 am

MHP wrote:I'd prefer a small horizontal shape

Horizontal shape is no good for quietness (temperatures), particularly if you pair that with a (relatively) power hungry CPU (like a Core i7 or even a Core i5): to get some hints about that, give a look to the RVZ2 and FTZ1 tests.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:12 pm

I took some time to read through some of the Roon Labs site. It looks like the vast majority of the CPU resources are dedicated to running a database. So, the size of the library is the sole reason to scale from an i3 to an i5 to an i7. Also, if the PC is only used as a NAS, then the CPU requirements drop. So, I'm thinking the Roon Labs guys are opting for overkill in the req's as they don't know what else you'll do with the PC. Sort of like a gfx card stating you need a 500W PSU when a 300W one will do.

As Luca mentioned, i7+small horizontal case or NUC isn't going to be quiet or cool. Plus, you want a pre-built system. Here are some options if you want silent:
- find a third party to assemble the build. That can open you up to some neat passive cases, like the HDPLEX H1.SODD
- upgrade your NAS to handle the processing you want to do and get a low power passive device to use as the Roon Bridge.

MHP

Post by MHP » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:30 pm

Thanks, Steve, for the reply and thoughts.

You mentioned that a NUC might not be quiet. I thought they were all fanless . . . I guess that was my misconception.

The PC will be used for a lot more than Roon. I hope to run a player program that will decode FLAC and transcode in some cases. It also will do real-time DSP, such as convolution and crossovers. Finally, I would use it for taking and analyzing measurements with REW and OminiMic, though I think this is a less demanding task than all the real-time processing.

The biggest issue, as far as I can see, is having something both powerful and silent. The room is extremely quiet, so that the fan of my Thinkpad (with no spinning drives) is too intrusive. That's meant as an example only.

Maybe what I'm looking for is still a couple of years away, technically -- at least without spending multiple thousands of USD for it.

Mike

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:46 pm

The only fanless NUC is a stock fanned one you buy and put into a fanless NUC case like Akasa's. Note - they are limited to 15W or so CPUs given the small amount of mass/heatsink space available.

MHP

Post by MHP » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:45 pm

Thanks again, Steve. If I do go ahead (still weighing pros and cons vs. my current setup), the best thing I've located so far is the Compulab IPC2. It seems to meet all my requirements.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:52 pm

Note those are also limited to 15W CPUs...also currently limited to Haswell.

MHP

Post by MHP » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:12 pm

Is there really much difference between Haswell and the later versions?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:08 am

5-10% faster processing, same TDP wattage class will run 3-5C cooler with same cooling solution, better iGP, updated video outputs is the short list. Not huge, but incremental.

Not trying to make the whole "I need an i7" thing more complex, but...Also, note that Intel's CPU naming is misleading when comparing mobile CPUs to desktop:

desktop: i3 = 2 phys cores, 4 threads. i5 = 4 phys cores, 4 threads. i7 = 4 phys cores, 8 threads.

mobile: i3 = 2 phys cores, 4 threads. i5 15W = 2 phys cores, 4 threads. i5 37W+ = 4 phys cores, 4 threads. i7 15W = 2 phys cores, 4 threads. i7 37W+ = 4 phys cores, 8 threads.

So, a mobile 15W i7 has less processing power than a desktop i3.

MHP

Post by MHP » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:28 pm

CA_Steve wrote:[...] So, a mobile 15W i7 has less processing power than a desktop i3.
Steve! Thanks for telling me that! I had no idea it was so complex and the naming scheme so misleading (I would be inclined to call it deceptive). Now I understand why my i5 laptop is slower than I'd expect.

So, before I pick anything prebuilt for this application, it looks like I should check out the processor here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... mbers.html

unless you can suggest a better way.

Mike

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:40 pm

Yep, Intel ark is your friend. If you know the processor number, you can just do a browser search for say "i7-6700 ark", and it'll be on the top of the search results.

MHP

Post by MHP » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:27 pm

One final thank you -- in spades. This information has given me a leg up on knowing what I'm doing.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:25 pm

Glad to have helped - enjoy the search!

MHP

Post by MHP » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:19 am

Maybe something like this

https://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/heatpipe-pc.html

Not cheap, but it could replace some not-cheap audio gear. And it takes real processors. AND the maker is nearby me, in case the unit ever needs service.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:02 pm

There you go.