Nexus TDD-3000 silent notebook cooler... good?

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jasonlava

Nexus TDD-3000 silent notebook cooler... good?

Post by jasonlava » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:49 am

I'm on the market for a good laptop cooler and I found the silent Nexus TDD-3000 cooler. It uses heatpipes to transfer heat. I play games so good cooling is a must. That ATI x700 does get hot.

Besides noise, how does the Nexus compared to regular fan coolers like the Bytecc one?

Thanks.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:07 am

For cooling, it is not as effective as a fan-equipped one, but it's silent. The main way that it works is...

1) by raising the notebook above the desk, it creates more air circulation, usually allows more breathing room for vents.
2) the heatpipes do help take some of the heat and spread it out a bit.

With an old P3 (and a bad cooling system), it basically kept the fans from coming on as often. Typically it cut it back to only when the thing had been on quite a while and I'd been doing some intensive work. But if you're gaming, your computer is at lod much of the time and the heat may be too much for this device to make much difference. I guess it depends on how efficient your notebook's cooling systems are.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:22 am

On my wife's G4 1GHz Titanium Powerbook I think the overall effect is pretty much +/- zero.

Maybe if you have really well ventilated / drafty room it'll help more.

I didn't find it particularly good, plus the laptop kept sliding off the slanted surface.

Granted, it is silent :)

jasonlava

Post by jasonlava » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:16 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go with a Bytecc one with fans. Not silent but from what I can tell, the fans aren't very loud. And they sure ain't louder than the VGA fan on the laptop itself.