Asus A8n-sli hangs with crystalcpuid!!

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fjf

Asus A8n-sli hangs with crystalcpuid!!

Post by fjf » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:58 am

Ever since I upgraded the bios to 1011 final, my Asus A8n-sli hangs with crystalcpuid or RMClock. Anyone has any fix?.

Regards

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Re: Asus A8n-sli hangs with crystalcpuid!!

Post by lenny » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:31 am

fjf wrote:Ever since I upgraded the bios to 1011 final, my Asus A8n-sli hangs with crystalcpuid or RMClock. Anyone has any fix?
No fix but a few questions (in case it happens to my A8V some time in the future..)

1. Did it work with earlier BIOS? (If no, ignore all the rest of the questions)

2. Which BIOS setting changed?

3. Is CnQ turned off in the BIOS? (Sorry, had to ask)

4. Does it hang immediately on trying to change multiplier / voltage?

Thanks.

fjf

cpu

Post by fjf » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:06 pm

I did some playing with it, and found out that this new bios does not work with the 4x multiplier anymore; it needs at least 5x (1 GHz). At this freq the previous voltage (0.8volt) is unstable, and I have to get close to 1 volt to achieve stability. Which is what cool'quiet gives you, so those undervolting soft are not worth the trouble anymore. :x :x :x

Regards

Eler

Re: cpu

Post by Eler » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:23 am

fjf wrote: Which is what cool'quiet gives you, so those undervolting soft are not worth the trouble anymore.
Well, I don't agree. If you use an external fan controller, the a8n-sli won't activate C'nQ, you have to plug a fan in the mobo in order to work. In this case, this kind of software becomes handy.

- Eler.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:51 am

Eler wrote:Well, I don't agree. If you use an external fan controller, the a8n-sli won't activate C'nQ, you have to plug a fan in the mobo in order to work. In this case, this kind of software becomes handy.
The Zalman Fanmate controller passes the RPM signal to the MB. Of course. it is not easy to control the fan speed from the front of your case with the Zalman.

Eler

Post by Eler » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:17 am

m0002a wrote:
Eler wrote:Well, I don't agree. If you use an external fan controller, the a8n-sli won't activate C'nQ, you have to plug a fan in the mobo in order to work. In this case, this kind of software becomes handy.
The Zalman Fanmate controller passes the RPM signal to the MB. Of course. it is not easy to control the fan speed from the front of your case with the Zalman.
It was just an example of a case when this soft can be handy. It also happens to be the problem I had in my system until I discovered CrystalCPUID :)

- Eler.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:07 am

Thanks for the update. I'm surprised that 4x multiplier doesn't work with the newer BIOS. Sometimes I wonder at whoever is writing the BIOS for Asus. There are a number of things working in my A8V 1008 BIOS that's broken in 1011. I guess the old advice of "don't flash if it's working for you" should be followed more closely :x

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:29 am

fjf wrote:Which is what cool'quiet gives you, so those undervolting soft are not worth the trouble anymore.
You do still gain much by using less than spec voltage under load (same as basic undervolting from BIOS without Cool 'n' Quiet).

C'n'Q defaults to 1,4 V (1.5 V for Clawhammer/NewCastle). You should be able to shave 0,1 V off from the default voltage at max. multiplier, or even more if you don't have top-of-the-line CPU (=3400+/3700+/3800+/4000+).

Cheers,

Jan