Recommed Zalman NB47J?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Recommed Zalman NB47J?

Post by thetoad30 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:16 pm

I have an ASUS P5AD2-E Premium and a Scythe Ninja.

Would it be ok for me to put the Zalman onto the Northbridge? Would it cool it down a little bit from the stock heatsink (the stock is already a "passive" heatsink)?

Will this fit with the Scythe Ninja?

I'm curious of anyone's use with this board and a Zalman chipset cooler.

Thank you

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:03 pm

No problems with NB overheating if you use the Zalman. Don't know about compatibility with Ninja, though.

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:05 pm

Well I just noticed that my board does not have any holes through it to mount the NB47J. It only has clips on the motherboard. Will this still work, or am I to assume that it is not compatible with my motherboard?

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:09 pm

You may have to glue it on to the NB then.

But I have to ask, if the board already has a passive NB cooler, what do you hope to gain by switching to the Zalman?

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:12 pm

I was hoping to gain more surface area and a bit less "directional" flow. The ASUS HS that's on there is very much a "north/south (top/bottom)" flow, where-as the zalman is more of an omni-directional flow.

But, assuming I would have to glue it on and not be able to take it off... doesn't look promising.

I suppose since my system is stable, its alright, but it was just getting really hot, and I couldn't even touch the HS for a second at idle, much less load, without burning myself.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:19 pm

If your system is stable, reducing northbridge temp isn't going to improve anything. NB's are perfectlyu happen at finger-scorching temps, there's nothing with that.

I'd focus my attention on something that is actually making noise. :lol:

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:22 pm

Hahaha, yeah, I was doing that too...

I have a Radeon X700PRO and I see that the VF700CU fits it.

I was going to put that on there instead of that noisy as hell stock ATI fan.

Is this a good choice? I've been searching like mad and I haven't found a definitive answer, except that I see A LOT of rigs using this fan for their cooler.

I don't want to do passive because I game very heavily, and I'll take the 18.5db of noise since I have the P180 and I'll have the Nexus fans in the upper 2 chambers with the two TriCools on low in the front (for hard drive) and in the bottom chamber for my 4 other hard drives.

So, this cooler seems to be the last of my noisy components, except for the hard drives, which I don't have the ~1000 bucks to replace.

Thank you!

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:39 pm

Well I just noticed that my board does not have any holes through it to mount the NB47J. It only has clips on the motherboard. Will this still work, or am I to assume that it is not compatible with my motherboard?
Here's a method to attach the NB47J that does not involve thermal epoxy, which voids your MB warranty.

Using a bicycle spoke to fabricate the wire clip is more demanding of cutting tools and makes a stronger spring, but isn't absolutely necessary.

Slidax

Post by Slidax » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:58 pm

yeh i used the same mehod my old via chipset, works well. you just have to be patient and careful at bending the wire so it fits.