Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

justblair

NF7/8rdavcore help apreciated

Post by justblair » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:45 am

Hi all

I bet my hat someone will be able to help me with this one

My system

NF7 NB modified to passive with 6cm heatsink
AXP 2100 pally, unlocked multiplyer, unlocked to mobile, pin modded to lower x range
512mb Ram 2700
TT Big typhoon
Open case design

Been playing with 8rdavcore on this as I really want to have a flexible system that will run passive most of the time, but will be able to change its Volts and FSB when the demand on the processor is high. Its part of a HTPC project I am working on.

Here is the issue.

With 8radvcore, I can get some phenominally low temps and good stability down to 1.2 volts and 100mhz (1100 CPU). At this the fan is not required on the CP (at full load with CPU burn)

At the top end I can get a mild overclock, again stable, with the cpu fan cutting in and out about 20% of the time (idle)

However, I can change FSB up or down when the processor is unladen. I have to do incerements on the way up.

When there is any load (eg MCE running) on the processor, I cant make any changes to the voltage without a lockup or BSOD.

I have followed the instructions that I can find. Both in 8Rdavcore manuals and also in a usefull walkthrough I found on this site

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=8631

The only bit on the walkthrough I struggled with was this
set mem speed to 100% and fsb to 100mhz (yes no joke) using manual ('Expert') settings. Set all voltages to their lowest settings.
Couldn't equate the mem speed bit to softmenu, and the machine wouldn't post when trying low voltages, I boot at 1.4v 11x100mhz

Can anyone offer suggestions?

I dont want to give up on this one, I feel I'm getting close....

ps If a similar thread exists can someone point me in a polite fashion, searching has been fruitless... and google is not my friend this time. :cry:

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:05 am

Hi,

have you tried asking at the amdmb forums? There's an ABIT subforum there....

try this

justblair

Post by justblair » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:28 am

I think I have searched that forum, pretty much exhaustively.

I have tuned my Bios, relaxed my memory timings, preyed to various gods and deities. Trouble is that most people buy this board to overclock (eugh feel dirty even saying the word) so they all get stressed out about what the board is doing at 220mhz or higher.

I have discovered a pencil mod that is claimed improves the stabilty of the Vcore which I plan to try at the weekend.

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.ph ... adid=65004

Apparently the Vcore fluctuates quite a bit (no apparently about it, Speedfan shows me a .05mhz fluctuation occaisionally 0.1) that can be eased.

Though I checked my Vcore fluctuation at idle and at load. Bizarre as it may seem, my vcore seems to stabalise under load (when in low voltage) which seems at odds with what these Overclockers (wash my mouth with soap) are reporting. I'll do the mod anyway as I figure that less fluctuations cant be a bad thing.

Also considering a modified Bios like TICTACs. No real understanding why I would need to, but I seem to have exhausted every other angle.

I am also planning to whack some passive cooling onto the mosfets, s/bridge. Again more from desperation than logic
I suppose with no forced airflow it wont do any harm.

After that I am looking at a memory upgrade, and a power supply upgrade (Want the silverstone passive anyway)

I know that several people here have done this on this board. It was one of my influences in buying the thing.
Last edited by justblair on Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justblair

Post by justblair » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:26 am

Oh and forgot to say, got the 1:1 timing sorted out

Was being a bit thick its now set to 3:3

justblair

Post by justblair » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:29 pm

Sorry Steve if I sounded dissmissive there, what I really ought to have said was that I thought this forum would be more likely to yield more relevant advice.

If I get no joy though I will do as you suggest.