Learn me on Pentium-M's

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mudboy

Learn me on Pentium-M's

Post by mudboy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:45 am

I am building a small, low-power home file server/NAS box. I found a good price on the AOpen i855GMEm-LFS, which has what I need (esp. dual gig-E) and bought one, and now I need a CPU.

Where's the best place to buy Socket 479 Pentium M's, and which ones will work in the AOpen i855GMEm-LFS? I know there are a number of people here who are running this board. Raw CPU power is much less important than low power consumption and possibly running the CPU fanless (with a decent heatsink).

The reason for my confusion is that I went to Intel.com and looked up the specs for the Pentium-M and it appears that it's available in both socket 478 and socket 479 flavors. Any help in letting me know what I need to be looking for would be great.

Thanks,

Pete

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:47 pm

The Intel Pentium M only has 478 pins, the socket has 479 pins. The 479 designation was mostly so people wouldn't try to mix and match their P-M and P4 s478 chips.

As for buying P-M, I got my 2GHz chip off of ebay for a semi-reasonable price. After checking my local retailers, the P-M line is mostly discontinued and unless you want a Celery-M 370, you'll probably be looking at ebay too.

Oh and lastly, I think your motherboard is meant for 400FSB P-M chips.