New project Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xirbal

New project Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4

Post by xirbal » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:42 am

Hi all,

first post and a quick question.

After surfing this website for a few months I have finally started my project: a new HTPC, as quiet as possible.

I have just received all the components and I have a doubt before starting building.

Should I remove the heatsinks of the motherboard and reapply the thermal paste, I am using AS5 (or even more radical, should I replace the stock heatsinks of the motherboard ?) or can I leave them as they are ?

I am going to use a Q6600 G0 with a Thermalright SI-128 and a 120 mm Scythe fan, therefore the fan will blow air towards the motherboard. No OC or very moderate OC.

The case is a Zalman HD160XT, so definitely not the best for cooling, but with enough vents and low speed fans to keep a decent air circulation inside, hopefully.

Thanks for any reply.

Marco

Conroy

Post by Conroy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:13 am

Hi!

I have never removed heatsinks from the motherboard before and I have no idea whether it would help, but if you do, I don't think AS5 will be sufficient to keep the heatsinks from falling off after you remount them.

You probably need to use some sort of thermal adhesive like arctic alumina or arctic silver adhesive.

xirbal

Post by xirbal » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:21 am

Hi Conroy,

thanks for the reply. I asked the question because I read a thread where somebody recommended uninstalling the heatsinks of the motherboard, replacing the thermal paste with a good product properly applied, and then reinstalling the heatsinks. The motherboard was an Asus PW5 DH if I remember right.

Since I didn't receive any indication in my case, I think I'll assume it is not really necessary for this line of motherboards.

Marco

WR304

Post by WR304 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:09 am

I replaced the thermal paste on my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard heatsinks. It's quite easy to do as the heatsinks are only held on by a few screws and pushpins. :)

The original thermal paste application wasn't quite as bad as on some Asus motherboards but still not perfect.

xirbal

Post by xirbal » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:45 am

Thanks WR304,

I did the same on my motherboard, as you said the thermal paste wasn't so bad, but I think now with properly applied AS5 it's better.

Didn't replace the two thermal pads that were under two of the heatsinks since they were covering two groups of 8 small integrated circuits, I thought that in these cases the thermal paste could not ensure good contact with all the ICs while the pads should do the job.

Marco