i5 4670K vs 4670S

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zaferk

i5 4670K vs 4670S

Post by zaferk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:37 pm

I'm looking to upgrade to Haswell and I'm having trouble deciding between CPUs for a quiet pc build. The K has a TDP of 84W vs 65 for the S.

My current Phenom II 955 has a TDP of 125W. What I aim to do is using my motherboard fan control software, to turn off the fans below a certain point (idle or light usage) and keep them off until load. I can't do this right now with my 955 because it gets too hot. Would I be able to do this with Haswell? Now, I will want to overclock a bit, but the 4670S is about 40$ less and lower TDP.

And what motherboard would be best? I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H. Now I know ASUS has the best fan software, but it's always been clunky for me. Does FanXpert 2 work flawlessly?

Abula

Re: i5 4670K vs 4670S

Post by Abula » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:42 pm

zaferk wrote:Now I know ASUS has the best fan software, but it's always been clunky for me. Does FanXpert 2 work flawlessly?
I dont have any issues with FanXpert2, really great software on it own, but the problem is the way that AI SUITE III measure temps, and this is binded into how fanXpert2 will control the fans. Asus has its own way of measuring temps, accoding to Asus JJ, its not core temperature, not pack, but a formula using mulitple sensor that they say its more accurate representation of it, weather its true or not idk, but fact remains that it will not match to any software out there, and its not linear either, sometimes is lower and sometimes is higher than other software. There are mulitple threads about it, ill leave you one of the last that i posted, Hero Temperature Sensor difference and Fan Xpert 2
zaferk wrote:And what motherboard would be best? I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H.
I dont think a best one exists, all have issues, some matter to some others dont care, etc. If you like Gigabyte go for it, i dont have much experience with their latest offering, so i cant say. If you are looking for good bios fan control look into MSI and AsRock, if you want software based i would say asus is still the best as long as you can live with what i mentioned above. Gigabyte also has improved their bios and software but idk how good is it, either way you can make it work out with fan controllers if all fails.
zaferk wrote:I'm looking to upgrade to Haswell and I'm having trouble deciding between CPUs for a quiet pc build. The K has a TDP of 84W vs 65 for the S.

My current Phenom II 955 has a TDP of 125W. I can't do this right now with my 955 because it gets too hot. Would I be able to do this with Haswell? Now, I will want to overclock a bit, but the 4670S is about 40$ less and lower TDP.
Personally i dont recommend S or T CPUs as you are getting a factory crippled CPU, even if its lower in price its just a handicap cpu. I would just go with the i5 4670 (K or not up to you), now be warned that Haswell CPU run hot on load, my 4770K reaches above 70C on prime95 on stock clocks, so depending the temps you are aiming, you will need some decent cooling to overclock and still maintain decent noise.
What I aim to do is using my motherboard fan control software, to turn off the fans below a certain point (idle or light usage) and keep them off until load.
I think with Asus you can do that, i never tried it though, but i read some other forum members have, but i cant say for sure as i never really tried, i just lowered mine to where they were inaudible so it didn't matter if they were on or off.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:32 am

MSI and intel used to have the best BIOS based fan control. Latest AsRock models have shown a much improved fan control section in BIOS, so if you dislike fan xpert, you might want to explore MSI, Intel and AsRock boards.

zaferk

Post by zaferk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks guys. I'll be looking at MSI or Asrock boards now. But is there any videos or anything detailing all the fan control options on these boards? I know many exist for ASUS Fan Xpert, but I haven't seen any detailing other motherboard manufacturers.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:38 pm

zaferk wrote:Thanks guys. I'll be looking at MSI or Asrock boards now. But is there any videos or anything detailing all the fan control options on these boards? I know many exist for ASUS Fan Xpert, but I haven't seen any detailing other motherboard manufacturers.
Not that i know off, MSI i personally was out of building a PC for a friend on Z77-GA43, not even knowing their bios fan control, i bought it out of his budget and had what i was looking for him. AsRock mostly in threads, there is one recent that you might want to check, not that it has tutorial or something explicit showing, but has screenshot and comments into how the bios fan control works, Quiet gaming setup.

But do remember one thing, if you go with bios fan control, chose careful the fans, i knew how MSI bios worked before the build (didnt know it had 2 real PWM fan headers this was a great surprise), so i chose PWM fans that would work well with it, fans that could be drop down very low on 4pin PWM headers, also remember you will have 2 PWM headers on them, so if you plan to use more fans you will need PWM fan splitter, recommended the Swiftech very well made. Asrock seems much more flexible into multiple breakpoints, and lower % restrictions, but i havent tested a recent AsRock, this is just by what i seen pics, regardless im happy with MSI atm, but worth mentioning im not using their nic nor sound card, so i cant say much about it.

Now if you dont care much about temp, and overclocking, i would probably just use the included fans and Asus motherboard and let FanXpert2 do its thing, its not bad, for 3pin fan is wonderful. Hell i kept my Asus Maxiumus VI Gene just out liking it so much for testing fans and determining the range of operation, im about to build it with pentium 3220 and with picoPSU, had some 4gb of 1333mhz from a past build, and i have old mechanical small hdd that i dont use, so im buidling a fan testing station =), but all this comes out of liking FanXpert2 so much. If Asus were to release it as stand alone FanXpert and measure the temps from cores like the usual probes, i would probably still be with asus.

pan3

Post by pan3 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:21 pm

Hi all.

I read somewhere that non 'K' Haswell cpus aren't suited for overclock (ok with this), but they aren't good even for underclock; the writer of the article states that forcing underclock through bios/motherboard settings likely gives an unstable system.
Do you think this could be true? For underclocking intentions, there are reasons to choose one of i5-4670, i5-4670K, i5-4670S?

thank you.