s12 380w vs. super silencer 400W

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

grenadier

s12 380w vs. super silencer 400W

Post by grenadier » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:12 am

The s12's have larger fans, but seems to be retailing for less than the super silencer series for some reason:

http://www.frontierpc.com/productList.a ... U-S-100654

Why are the super silencers more expensive?

If I could get either of these for about the same money which one would you recommend? Why?

grenadier

Post by grenadier » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:58 pm

Doesn't anyone have any suggestions?

380W S12 vs. 400W Super Silencer when both are going for ~$75

Which one would you choose?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:32 pm

That depends on the setup you want to create. It is not a case of the one is always better than the other.

The S12 (or the Tornado) can be used to aid in case cooling. But with a really hot CPU this could lead to higher fan speeds and more noise. With a cooler chip and good case ventilation this doesn't have to be a problem.

The Silencer can be used with a PSU duct. So the case and PSU cooling will be independend.

EDIT: Just saw your sig. That is a hot CPU, so I would go for the Silencer with a PSU duct. And mount the Freezer 7 so it blows straight to the case exhaust fan.

grenadier

Post by grenadier » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:44 pm

Tibors wrote:EDIT: Just saw your sig. That is a hot CPU, so I would go for the Silencer with a PSU duct. And mount the Freezer 7 so it blows straight to the case exhaust fan.
Actually I'm assembling my new Athlon 64 setup right now and should have everything installed in the next hour or so. I'm swapping out my 2.8E and my AA8-Duramax for a 3000+ and Chaintech VNF4. Mostly for power consumption / heat reasons. These intel chips, even the J revisions, are downright insane when it comes to power usage / heat compared to the winchester a64's.