two dell da-2 and two picopsu 160

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

pingalep

two dell da-2 and two picopsu 160

Post by pingalep » Sat May 23, 2015 1:05 am

my PC
core 2 duo q9300>tdp 95w
4x2gb ddr2 ram>tdp i don't know
hd4670>tdp 70w, no external connector
p45 chipset>tdp 22w
1hdd 3,5
1ssd
3fan at low speed

my idea is to use one dell da-2 and one chinese "pico-psu"160w to power ATX connector.
and second da-2 and chinese picopsu 160 to power p4 connector(12v 4 pin) and drives and fans. also i was thinking about bypassing the chinese pico and connect the p4 connector 12v 4pin directly to the da-2(using 1 or 2 of the 3 12v cables, knowing they all get out from a one connector on the pcb of the brick)

i can't find anywhere if this thing is possible or will make explode my pc or damage it severely.

i'd like to try this solution cause i already have these stuff and i'm going to upgrade in the future with a i7 4770 and no external gpu, so i can run the 85wtdp with only one pico and dell-da2

any advice is welcome!

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: two dell da-2 and two picopsu 160

Post by xan_user » Sat May 23, 2015 7:45 am

WELCOME TO SPCR!!

Ive not personally tried what you are attempting.... but I have thought about it.

check into something like this?,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009P9 ... EVQ36F7B46

pingalep

Post by pingalep » Sat May 23, 2015 10:43 am

thank you!
the adapter you linked is used to power multiple gpus with multiple psus!
i have no problem in powering up the two da-2 brick, i'm concerned about problems two separate 12v from separate brick on the same mobo may cause.
but i know that on the gpu laso the 12v from two psu are mixed eventually....so... :?:

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat May 23, 2015 12:50 pm

pingalep wrote:my idea is to use one dell da-2 and one chinese "pico-psu"160w to power ATX connector.
and second da-2 and chinese picopsu 160 to power p4 connector(12v 4 pin) and drives and fans.

There should be pico-like PSUs with two connectors for two different AC-DC adapters, and that should be the preferred option, IMVHO.

The only drawback I see in your proposed setup is how to turn on the second pico (the one hooked up to the CPU), since the on/off switch is located onto the 24 pin mobo connector.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sat May 23, 2015 1:11 pm

pingalep wrote:my idea is to use one dell da-2 and one chinese "pico-psu"160w to power ATX connector.
and second da-2 and chinese picopsu 160 to power p4 connector(12v 4 pin) and drives and fans. also i was thinking about bypassing the chinese pico and connect the p4 connector 12v 4pin directly to the da-2(using 1 or 2 of the 3 12v cables, knowing they all get out from a one connector on the pcb of the brick)
Bypassing would be the only way, since it would be difficult to fit the picoPSU between the brick and the p4 connector. :) All the picoPSU does is convert 12v down to 5v and 3.3v. Not much use for that when you want to feed 12v to something.

I've powered system this way; letting the brick feed the picoPSU and also the p4 connector directly. But I've never used two bricks to power one system. I would advise against it, but it is certainly possible.

edh

Post by edh » Sun May 24, 2015 7:43 am

Using two PSUs to power system is not new. It has many drawbacks and I really can't recommend it. You can get adaptors to link PSUs together such that they power up at the same time when the button is pressed but it does nothing to resolve the dreadful power quality you may get and the seriously subpar efficiency vs. a single larger PSU. Running the ATX power on one PSU and the ATX12V on a separate PSU sounds particularly bad. What happens if a double fault condition occurs on one PSU and the surge runs via the path of least resistance to earth through the motherboard?

This doesn't exactly sound cheap either so what exactly is wrong with a single ATX fanless PSU?