Article: Best uninterruptible power supply 2023 ?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

whispercat

Article: Best uninterruptible power supply 2023 ?

Post by whispercat » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:54 pm

This article recommends the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD. https://silentpcreview.com/psu/guide/be ... upply-ups/

However, reading through the reviews on Amazon, there are numerous complaints about the strong toxic plastic smell of this model. This model is also over 13 years old now. I wonder if this is truly the best UPS of 2023?

Can anyone recommend a good UPS with:

- Pure sine wave
- Minimum 8 outlets
- Quiet/silent operation
- No toxic plastic chemical smell

CA_Steve

Re: Article: Best uninterruptible power supply 2023 ?

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:02 pm

There really aren't any decent UPS reviews out there. You might find out whether or not the mfgr says they provide a 'pure' sine wave output, but you won't find out about noise...and only user feedback will let you know about odd smells ;)

I know APC has at least one 'pure' sine wave output model. I can't tell you how quiet it is. Try perusing their site. I'm still using a couple of very old APC fan-less stepped sine wave models that are on their 3rd set of batteries.

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:29 am

Thanks. I've been doing more research since I posted my comment. It seems most of the UPS models out there are still using lead acid batteries. This may account for why so many people are reporting strong chemical smells. It might also mostly pertain to older models. The pure sine wave only seems to be available on certain brands and models, typically if they are in-line rather than standby inverter UPS.

I'm now looking at portable power stations, like this one from Ecoflow: https://ca.ecoflow.com/products/river-2 ... 5934461082

These power stations can be used as UPS, and although they usually have fewer outlets, they can be used as pass-throughs for surge protectors and power bars. Power stations are generally more expensive than a standard UPS, but they have longer warranties and longer battery life (they can be recharged 3000 times and last 10 years), as well as using Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries instead of lead acid. They also output pure sine waves, and this Ecoflow model is considered pretty quiet according to most reviews. There are other portable power station brands I'm looking into like Bluetti, Jackery, and Pecron.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:40 am

I doubt a sealed lead acid battery is going to smell.

fyi.

I wonder how the power conversion loss and the standby power use compares to the lead acid UPS models...