Modding an Antec 380w Truepower Whisper *cough* Quiet PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Be Quiet!

Modding an Antec 380w Truepower Whisper *cough* Quiet PSU

Post by Be Quiet! » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:25 am

Hi all,

First post here, so i'll give you a little back ground. A few months ago I decieded that i was in need of a quiet computer. I purchesed a GMC x-21 trinity case to start with and proceded to mod it with gromits in the hdd cage, panaflo fans, a zalman heatpipe and a 7000cnps alcu. I also replaced the maxpower psu that came in the case with the above mentioned Antec powersupply. Now i've found that the only really audible nosie comming from the computer is the not so quite psu. Being in NZ alot of the really good silent products are difficult to get hold of : ie anything seasonic and nexus.

So what i was thinking rather then buy a new psu an easier idear would be to replace the two ballbearing fans that are in the psu with a couple of panaflo L1a's. However i've never done anything like this and am unsure if the panaflos would cool it adquetly ect.
Any comments and help would be much appreciated.

Any opinions on these psu's in general??

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:33 am

Hop on over to the PSU forums and you'll find all kinds of info about fan swapping on PSUs. I suspect if you use the search you'll find a few people that have specifically modded TruePower PSUs.

Oh and WELCOME TO SPCR!!!

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:34 am

I am one of the few around here who find the Antec TruePower to be a very silent psu. I honestly don't know why others find them noisy. I can hear a Seagate read/write over one of my Antec True 330 psu's.

I did send one of my psu's back to Antec and told them it was too noisy. They happily replaced it. I was lucky to have two of the same psu so I had a reference. You may try getting a replacement to see if that helps.

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:26 am

PretzelB wrote:I am one of the few around here who find the Antec TruePower to be a very silent psu. I honestly don't know why others find them noisy.
Ah, but is yours the retail 2-fan version, or the "S" version that ships in the Sonata?

You can purchase standalone 380s units if you look around.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:06 pm

Mine is the 330w version that comes with 2 fans. I bought it outside of any case - it just came by itself. I didn't realize there were different versions of the True Power line. Maybe that explains it.

edcrane

Post by edcrane » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:37 pm

Hmm. a quiet "true power"? That's odd. During the course of modding my 330watt 2 fan whisper PSU, I removed the 92mm fan from the bottom and used speed fan to see if maybe the thermistor that controlled it was just giving it too much power. I don't remember much about starting voltage or observed cooling capacity, but the damn thing was NEVER quiet. Even ~3v that thing was clearly audible over a bare wd1200jb.

As far as modding the PSU, L1As will be absolutely sufficient for cooling, but they'll still be somewhat loud @ 12v. If you have a rheostat you should consider hooking up both fans to it. Keep in mind there have been some lots of reports of 92mm L1A's being a bit excessively loud, so if your model needs that 92mm intake fan replaced, you should think about going with Papst or nexus fans. All of this might be overkill though. You should be able to grab a 120mm single fan forton PSU over @ newegg for ~30.00 + no hassles. That's what I have, and provided your eletrical demands don't push it into high gear, the low volted 120mm fan is rather quiet.

Be Quiet!

Post by Be Quiet! » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:40 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:Hop on over to the PSU forums and you'll find all kinds of info about fan swapping on PSUs. I suspect if you use the search you'll find a few people that have specifically modded TruePower PSUs.

Oh and WELCOME TO SPCR!!!
Heh Thanks Ralf

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:17 pm

Perhaps this explains it ... I can't hear a Panaflo 80mm L1A at 12v so I consider that quiet. My Antec 330w True Power is under a L1A at 12v so it works for me. Everyone has different levels.

Perhaps all the people who consider the True Power loud have only experienced the "other" version that comes with the Sonata. I am surprised there is more than one version.

Maybe someone who has experience with both models of the True Power can help?
edcrane wrote:Hmm. a quiet "true power"? That's odd. During the course of modding my 330watt 2 fan whisper PSU, I removed the 92mm fan from the bottom and used speed fan to see if maybe the thermistor that controlled it was just giving it too much power. I don't remember much about starting voltage or observed cooling capacity, but the damn thing was NEVER quiet. Even ~3v that thing was clearly audible over a bare wd1200jb.

As far as modding the PSU, L1As will be absolutely sufficient for cooling, but they'll still be somewhat loud @ 12v. If you have a rheostat you should consider hooking up both fans to it. Keep in mind there have been some lots of reports of 92mm L1A's being a bit excessively loud, so if your model needs that 92mm intake fan replaced, you should think about going with Papst or nexus fans. All of this might be overkill though. You should be able to grab a 120mm single fan forton PSU over @ newegg for ~30.00 + no hassles. That's what I have, and provided your eletrical demands don't push it into high gear, the low volted 120mm fan is rather quiet.