Owners, Please give feedback on Antec Phantom hum noise.

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

lpv

Owners, Please give feedback on Antec Phantom hum noise.

Post by lpv » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:26 am

I want to get one but am concerned about the hum noise. Please help.

silencery

Post by silencery » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:16 am

no whining or humming for me. I believe there was another thread discussing this issue already.

eLekTRiK

Post by eLekTRiK » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:30 am

Mine had some hum when first installed, but it went away after a few days of use. There is still a very slight hum, but nothing I can distinguish without sticking my ear up within a few inches of the case.

It seems like it will run very happily provided there is some fan somewhere in the system that provides even a slight airflow. It gets scary hot at the internal PSU heatsink if I leave all fans off at idle, but it seems to work even under those conditions (haven't tried that out for more than a few hours though).

lpv

Post by lpv » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:56 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I ordered one for 145 shipped no tax in ca. I hope i get one with no hum. :D

lpv

Post by lpv » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:51 am

I have a powerman psu that has a loud hum in my current computer. I used the same psu in another computer and the hum went away. With more testing, I found that the reason for the hum was depended if my seagate 160gig was attached to the psu or not. I have come to the conclusion that the cause of the hum that you may get from your psu is dependent on what components you use with the psu. Please enlighten me if I am wrong.

aidanjm2004

Post by aidanjm2004 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:10 am

lpv wrote:I have a powerman psu that has a loud hum in my current computer. I used the same psu in another computer and the hum went away. With more testing, I found that the reason for the hum was depended if my seagate 160gig was attached to the psu or not. I have come to the conclusion that the cause of the hum that you may get from your psu is dependent on what components you use with the psu. Please enlighten me if I am wrong.
Makes sense to me. :)

How did your Phantom go?

lpv

Post by lpv » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:02 pm

I just got it installed and it is just warm to the touch after 3 hours of normal use. No hum noise for me. I highly recomend this product .