how are the ultra branded 400 watt value psu?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

vanhaust

how are the ultra branded 400 watt value psu?

Post by vanhaust » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:13 am

how are the ultra branded 400 watt value psu?.im on a budget and there selling em localy are they any good?

burebista

Post by burebista » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:26 am

From here:
The last goes Ultra Products whose power supplies are actually manufactured by the well-known Wintech. These are average products with some pretensions (silvery cables!), but without anything really exceptional about them. Their quality of manufacture and their electrical characteristics are just average.
And from here:
Average:
Enermax
Superflower/TTGI/Fore Point/Fortrex
Wintech (Sintek, Ultras that aren't the first gen X-Connect)
Sirtec (most Thermaltakes)
Or here:
All in all, we can't recommend the X-Finity as a quiet power supply. But, if you're willing to settle for "good enough" rather than "top-of-the-line" and you like the looks or you would feel safer in the hands of a lifetime warranty, the X-Finity could be for you.
Nothing about your particular 400W PSU, but probably they are average. :)
Last edited by burebista on Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanhaust

Post by vanhaust » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:29 am

cool.thank you

burebista

Post by burebista » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:32 am

You're welcome, but maybe are other opinions.

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:07 am

I tried 350W and 400W V-Series PSUs, and while I can't comment about the power output, I found this about the build quality:

With one 350W, the fan failed to start when the PSU was turned on in about 2 out of 20 tries, but the second sample, apparently from a different production run (yellow capacitors in place of some black ones, Muhua fan had no UL registration number printed on it), worked fine.

A couple of 400W models didn't seem to be built as well, with noticeably worse solder that included a ground wire that could be rotated in its solder hole, and one of the wires for the voltage selector switch had a blob of solder embedded into its insulation. Also the large thermistor meant for reducing turn-on surge had its long leads crossed over one another and were pressing against one another when the PSU case was closed, causing the thermistor to be bypassed.

I doubt that Ultra's X2 and X-Finity PSUs are assembled any better.