Antec Signature 850W very noisy

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

markus07

Antec Signature 850W very noisy

Post by markus07 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:58 pm

I bought yesterday Antec Signature 850W, since beginning and first start fan is so noisy so it makes me headache.
What is wrong? When PWM will start to reduce speed?

My system is:
Proc:Intel Core i7 950 3.06
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe v2
RAM: 3x2 GB DDR3 Elixir 1066 Ram
HDD: 2x Hitachi 1 TB Hdd Raid 1
SSD: 1x SSD Buffalo 126 GB
Graph: Gigabyte Radeon HD 5850
Optic: 1x DVD-RW
System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Case: Antec Gamer Twelve Hundred

I used Antec Power Supply Calculator and it shows 514 W as Recommended Minimum PSU Wattage.
Even if I start only in BIOS or Windows and doing nothing - all FANs in case are slowing down, temp inside tower is 35, Processor temp 37, Memory temp 36 and still PSU is so noisy so I can not stand it. Do it need some additional software or drives?

Please advice, otherwise I will give it back and choose different PSU from different vendor

cheers,
Marek

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:04 am

Hi markus07, Welcome to SPCR!
Unless you have the CPU over-clocked I would expect your system to be under 250w, certainly under 300w. At those power levels the Signature should be pretty quiet.
The 1200 is a large well ventilated case so shouldn’t be getting hot which could cause the PSU fan to speed up.
I would confirm it is definitely the PSU making the noise, try sticking a plastic zip-tie (zap strap) or equivalent in to the PSU fan while the system is on to stop the fan. Do it gently and stopping the fan for a few seconds won’t harm anything. If the noise goes away then it’s the PSU, if the noise doesn’t change much then it’s something else making the noise.
If it is the PSU then I suggest getting it replaced as it should be very quiet. If you want a different PSU then the Seasonic X650 is probably as good as it gets. Other Seasonic models, Enermax Pro/Modu 82/87+ and certain Corsair PSUs would all be good choices. See the recommended list.
Regards, Seb

misterd
Patron of SPCR

Post by misterd » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:21 am

As stated above, welcome to SPCR. I also have one of these PSU's kicking around, I will test it when I get home today for you, but from what I remember it was not noticeably loud. Are you sure it's not your video cards?

markus07

Post by markus07 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:49 am

thank you for warm welcome and advice. I put screwdriver into PSU and start PC...it was so quiet!!! so it is 100% noise from fan from PSU. I also disconnected all fans, removed graphic card and start PC.
FAN in PSU was still very very noisy and did not reduce speed.
I think it goes non stop in maximum speed. I connected Power Meter between PSU and socked in wall - I am using now 175W !! and temps are:
CPU: 41C MB:38C Fan speeds: CPU:992, Chasis: 820
PC is not overclocked. I just bought 2 days ago all set and I am unhappy because of noise. Do you think I should give it back and ask for help in shop?

kater

Post by kater » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:09 pm

Definitely apply for a replacement. This PSU should be inaudible with your system, especially if your VGA has a stock "Batmobil" cooler. Yourboth HDDs should also be a little noisier than the PSU's fan. Antec/shop/vendor has no choice but to replace the PSU as it is abviously faulty. Probably a problem with PWM control.

markus07

Post by markus07 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:41 am

thank you all for reply. I contacted Antec Client support - they said it is 99% problem with PWM control - so kater - you are right. Today I replaced it in shop and with sales person I connected old and new one. Old one was like F16 starting, new one - we did not hear anything...So I am very happy now, and my PC works great and is really quiet. Thank you all for your advice.