Isolated PSU in Fractal Define C

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

arel64

Isolated PSU in Fractal Define C

Post by arel64 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:40 am

Hello, dear members. Your expert advice is strongly needed.

This is a list of my projected rig (items I already own are in bold):

CPU: Core i5-6500

Heatsink: Scythe Kotetsu or Noctua NH-U12S

Mainboard: ASUS H170 Pro Gaming

GPU: integrated graphics, at least initially

RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 2x8 GB

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD + 2-3 GB HDD

Case: Fractal Design Define C with 2 stock fans: http://www.fractal-design.com/home/prod ... s/define-c)

This is a new, more compact model, which has an isolated chamber for PSU. Here are some pictures:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Fra ... e_C/4.html

http://techreport.com/review/30904/frac ... reviewed/2

I suppose that this PSU chamber will not favor fanless units, despite the low power requirements of the system (there are no overclocking or gaming plans BTW).

Any suggestions about efficient, fully modular, semi-passive PSU? Isn't 550W an overkill for such a system?

Thank you in advance.

CA_Steve

Re: Isolated PSU in Fractal Define C

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:25 am

GPU: integrated graphics, at least initially
What applications would drive you to move toward a discrete gfx card down the road? It'd be useful to know in order to size your PSU.

I wouldn't dismiss a passive PSU out of hand. Yes, there's the PSU tunnel in the case...it's also vented over the PSU. So, you could mount the PSU vent side up. That said, need to know the max gfx card you might someday throw in the case, just to get a feel for the PSU heat load.

Or, go with a semi-passive PSU like the Corsair RM550x.

Or, go with an always on - but extremely quiet fanned PSU like the be quiet! Straight Power 10 550CM.

There are other options, what's your PSU budget?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:51 am

arel64 wrote:Any suggestions about efficient, fully modular, semi-passive PSU? Isn't 550W an overkill for such a system?
Where are you going to buy it? I mean the country/region.

arel64

Post by arel64 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:36 am

@CA_Steve, @quest_for_silence

Thank you for your kind interest.

Not sure there will be a need for discrete GPU at all.

If it isn't too bothersome, I'll be grateful to have your advice re two different scenarios:

1. No discrete card.

2. Leaving some headroom for some not very power-hungry gfx card, just in case.

Something around $100 would be preferable.

Amazon (US, UK, Italy, Germany) is OK, as well as most of retailers in these countries.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:06 am

Well, if you should buy from Amazon EU, take note they also have Spain and France shops, which you may check for pricing arbitrage in case.

Providing you meant a 60-70W GPU at least (RX 460/GTX-750ti and above), for about 70 euros the Be Quiet Straight Power E10 400W (BN230) fits both scenarios: though it's not semipassive I've some doubts you will hear its Silent Wings 3 fan spinning ~170rpm.

The Silverstone SST-ST30SF fits clearly only the first scenario: it's semi-passive (IIRC 110-180W depending of ambient temp), it's 50°C rated, it has a decent-to-good low power efficiency despite the bronze rating (~80% @ 25W / ~86% @ 60W), it has an adaptor plate and it costs around 50 euros.

IMHO another good candidate for both scenarios is the Super Flower Golden Silent 430, BUT it's totally passive (I agree with Steve, the PSU cage doesn't necessarily bar a passive PSU) and costs around 110-120 euros: in case you may order it from EU Super Flower distributor, Caseking, who ships all over Europe (at any rate they have some local partners in some selected countries).

About semi-passive (or passive) ATX units, IIRC there's nothing below the 550W capacity, so the Corsair RM550x should likely be your best candidate: I like the Super Flower Leadex Platinum 550W even more (better performances) but it should be more expensive than your budget, as well as the quoted Golden Silent 430 (or any other competitive option, like those suitable EVGAs or Seasonics).

I'd also consider a DC/DC converter (like a Pico) for your 1st scenario.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:54 am

Given the low gfx requirement, I'd lean toward the Be Quiet Straight Power E10 400W (BN230) - very low speed fan over your operating range, good efficiency and reasonable price in Europe. Might need to remove the bottom drive cage to make room for the non-modular cables...but then it's not a problem as you can mount an SSD nearly anywhere.

Hrafn

Post by Hrafn » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:20 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:About semi-passive (or passive) ATX units, IIRC there's nothing below the 550W capacity...
Seasonic does a number of passive PSUs in the sub-550W range (400, 460 & 520W). They are generally sufficiently efficient (80plus Platinum -- 94% minimum efficiency at 50% load on 230V), that it shouldn't be a problem for them to be venting into the main case partition, as long as any GPU is not directly above the PSU (which would be the case with the Nano S, but not with the C and Mini C). A combination of good positive pressure and good venting of any vacant PCI slots above the PSU should further ameliorate this (blowing out some of warm air from the PSU out the back before it can rise to the GPU or CPU).

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:35 pm

Hrafn wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:About semi-passive (or passive) ATX units, IIRC there's nothing below the 550W capacity...
Seasonic does...

A proofreading error, with the 430W SF quoted just above :roll: : btw, no Seasonic fits the bill, one way or the other.

arel64

Post by arel64 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:55 pm

Thank you all, guys.

Where else can you get expert suggestions like this!

Do you have any ideas about Fractal Design Edison M 450W?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:15 pm

arel64 wrote:Do you have any ideas about Fractal Design Edison M 450W?

I'd avoid: BTW, it's just a rebadged Seasonic G.

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:22 am

If that's a rebadge of Seasonic G450W, then that's the one I'm using. I can't hear it at all, but mind you it's in the corner of next of my room and since most cases nowadays have PSUs mounted at the bottom with the fan facing down, there's no chance of hearing it if it's on the floor.

arel64

Post by arel64 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:48 am

Dear All,

Thank you again for your advice.

Most appreciated.