peters

Nidec Samsungs in US

Post by peters » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:18 am

Anyone know where I can find these?

Thanks

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:30 am

A particular model number would be nice.

However, from my personal experience with 2.5" notebook hard drives as performance USB powered or FireWire powered removable hard drives, I have found that Hitachis/Samsungs are actually pretty good ones. While the Samsungs are somewhat more noisier by just a *smidge*, they appear to run cooler. However, they do not utilize Hitachi's head park/lock technology, in which upon disconnection the heads are parked to the very outer rim and then locked so that no damage is caused to the hard drive. The hitachis, on the other hand, run a bit hot, or so to my experimentation. I have not tested 2.5" notebook hard drives as they were intended - in a notebook, nor in a desktop case. however, once Seagate releases their 7200.1s, I plan on doing so. *grin*

Kevin Ar18

Post by Kevin Ar18 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:09 pm

eXcaliberPC.com will hand pick Samsung drives for you.
I called them up and asked them about this. From what I was told, he said that they were aware of this issue. (I guess other people called them and asked for the same thing?)

He told me to just enter the information into the comments field when I ordered the drive. However, if you want to make a phone call just to make sure that they still do it and that everything will work like you want it to, then you can do that.

I requested a NIDEC drive and a manufacturer's date of 2003 (if they could find one), and I got a NIDEC drive with a manufacturer's date of 2004.

Here's the thread:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ht=samsung

peters

Post by peters » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:34 pm

Not anymore. They now state on their web-site that they will not do this.

kogase

Post by kogase » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:19 pm

I wonder... has anyone tried asking Samsung directly about the different motors?

smoothness

Post by smoothness » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:53 am

First post. I decided that my information was relevant enough. Go to Microcenter, if there's one nearby. They have a bunch of OEM products, and you can see right through the packaging to see which motor it is. I just purchased a 160gb SATA Nidec from them. They had a sale a while back; mine was 100 dollars. Not that much more than market prices.

peters

Post by peters » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:24 pm

Just got three from NewEgg. Took my chances though as they would not check before sending. One happy camper.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:34 pm

will excalibur not handpick nidec, or not handpick in general?

yeah they told me they discontinued this.

so if i buy from newegg or excalibur, i am taking "chances"

Wraith

Post by Wraith » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:59 pm

Looking at the 1614N, it says right on the page:
We will no longer accept request to look for drive made specifically with Nidec motor
Though I got mine from them this way a few months back. Too bad.