HDD in external eSATA enclosure; viable noisewise?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

HDD in external eSATA enclosure; viable noisewise?

Post by rpsgc » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:02 pm

Hello,

I already have a pretty quiet computer, but it's not quiet enough! Since it's pretty much passive (CPU and GPU), the only "noise makers" are the HDD and PSU. There's nothing I can do about the PSU, it's already one of the quietest around. So I diverted my attention to the HDD. It's not noisy per se. It's also one of the quietest around (second only to the Samsung T) but it can never get quiet enough ;)

First I thought about buying a Quiet Drive but after reading some user opinions and feedback I had my doubts (not much for noise reduction and still some vibration). Seeing as it's already pretty much vibration-free, it's resting on some soft foam on the bottom of the case, I scraped that idea.

Then it hit me... Think outside the box. eSATA :P
It was all fine and dandy until I read some more feedback stating that the ordinary eSATA enclosures are not that great and simply amplify seek noise and vibrations. That got me worried. But then again I do plan on stuffing it inside a 1" thick solid wood closet about 2ft away.

I guess that blocks (most of) the noise no?

I had one of these in mind:

Mapower MAP-AE31F (has a 80mm fan)
A.C. Ryan AluBox eSATA

With eSATA I'll get negligible performance loss, I'm worried about noise. So, is it viable?

I'm thinking of just getting rid of this gaming rig anyways and just get a silent, high efficency low powered rig and a Xbox 360 :P So it would fit well.

Steve_Y

Re: HDD in external eSATA enclosure; viable noisewise?

Post by Steve_Y » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:11 am

I’m a big fan of eSATA drives. Going from 2.5â€

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:28 am

Actually, you don't even need an eSATA enclosure; just use the bare drive to experiment. Start with a long data cable + a long SATA power cable extender. Connect the data cable directly to the mb and the power extender to the internal PSU. Then place the HDD on a bed of foam as far away from you as possible.... and see what happens. It will run hotter bare outside than inside the case (if there's been any effective airflow around it).

Chances are, you'll hear it unless the noise is blocked by the desk or something. Now try covering it with a u-section cover -- made of almost anything and lined with foam. Make it big enough to allow an 80mm fan to be fitted to one end of the tunnel that's formed when you cover the HDD. It might be quiet enough after this, but probably run very hot, but you can easily run a quiet fan at 5V by tapping off the power line you've run to the HDD, which will drop the temp by 10~15C.

Anyway, at the end of this experiment you'll know what you can expect when placing a HDD externally, and make it more permanent if you want. I doubt any eSATA external drive enclosure will be as quiet as this DIY jobbie -- they all have some resonance/vibration issues.

WR304

Post by WR304 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:47 am

Steve_Y wrote:Another possible issue is that the enclosure's power supply can produce an unpleasant noise.

, the power brick supplied with a Freecom or Maxtor external drive is the noisiest component in the room (easily audible and very annoying from a good 5m away), that's the case even with the external drive turned off. If you can put the power supply in the cupboard with the drive then I imagine it wouldn't be a problem.
Why don't you replace them with different power supplies of the same specification?

There are a few places that offer them with custom outputs. :)

Steve_Y

Post by Steve_Y » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:55 am

WR304 wrote:
Steve_Y wrote: Why don't you replace them with different power supplies of the same specification?

There are a few places that offer them with custom outputs. :)
It's something I considered looking into, but I didn't bother for a few reasons.

Firstly I wouldn't know for sure that the replacement power supply would be any better. Noise is very common from that kind of power supply, and even if was silent on delivery they can develop noise over time.

Secondly I'd expect anything requiring custom outputs to be a pretty expensive option, probably not much different to buying a different enclosure.

Finally there's the fact that it isn't a big deal. I only use the drives in the same room when backing up data, the drives connected to my PC full time are in a different room and their power supplies are inaudible.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:21 am

MikeC wrote:Actually, you don't even need an eSATA enclosure; just use the bare drive to experiment. Start with a long data cable + a long SATA power cable extender. Connect the data cable directly to the mb and the power extender to the internal PSU. Then place the HDD on a bed of foam as far away from you as possible.... and see what happens. It will run hotter bare outside than inside the case (if there's been any effective airflow around it).

Chances are, you'll hear it unless the noise is blocked by the desk or something. Now try covering it with a u-section cover -- made of almost anything and lined with foam. Make it big enough to allow an 80mm fan to be fitted to one end of the tunnel that's formed when you cover the HDD. It might be quiet enough after this, but probably run very hot, but you can easily run a quiet fan at 5V by tapping off the power line you've run to the HDD, which will drop the temp by 10~15C.

Anyway, at the end of this experiment you'll know what you can expect when placing a HDD externally, and make it more permanent if you want. I doubt any eSATA external drive enclosure will be as quiet as this DIY jobbie -- they all have some resonance/vibration issues.

Thanks for the idea. I reckon that would work, too bad I'm not that skilled at DIY :/
I'll search for something else I can use, in the likes of an enclosure but with none of the resonance problems. Or I'll just put it inside the closet placed on top of soft foam :lol:

Say... If I mounted the HDD normally inside my SLK3000B's hard drive cage, placed some foam underneath it and then place it inside the closet, would that help in making the HDD cooler?

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:23 pm

rpsgc wrote:...There's nothing I can do about the PSU, it's already one of the quietest around...
Hmmm.... That's what I thought about my Seasonic S12... But a a fan-swap proved something else... But then again, if you're not into DIY, it dont matter much.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:25 pm

Say... If I mounted the HDD normally inside my SLK3000B's hard drive cage, placed some foam underneath it and then place it inside the closet, would that help in making the HDD cooler?
Most likely... yes.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:31 pm

Thomas wrote:
rpsgc wrote:...There's nothing I can do about the PSU, it's already one of the quietest around...
Hmmm.... That's what I thought about my Seasonic S12... But a a fan-swap proved something else... But then again, if you're not into DIY, it dont matter much.
Fine... it's one of the quietest around stock :P

I reckon I could use one of these to use my HDD externally without resorting to those resonating/vibrating enclosures.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:59 pm

MikeC wrote:Actually, you don't even need an eSATA enclosure; just use the bare drive to experiment. Start with a long data cable + a long SATA power cable extender. Connect the data cable directly to the mb and the power extender to the internal PSU. Then place the HDD on a bed of foam as far away from you as possible.... and see what happens. It will run hotter bare outside than inside the case (if there's been any effective airflow around it).

I have a Galaxy "Metal Gear Box" I've been using in USB2 but it does SATA also.Since I got this-they put out versions with a full eSATA, Pretty minor noise and the Alum sides seem to dissipate heat okay. eSATA basically allows a better cable,a plug that stays in-less internal resistance-better sheilding-so you get to use 6'. ESPECIALLY if I was going to put 2 HDDS or a Raptor in eSATA I'd mod up a box....probably undervolt an 800rpm Scythe as far as possible....use the power tap as mike suggests-or just splice off a 5v line ad make a 6' molex.

Double or triple the distance to the ear-have drives inside wood with a liner (no echo) and the housings isolated (many options) no straight soundpath...very slow fan.... I really think you COULD get a very quiet 2 Raptor Raid.

IMO eSATA and "Big Fans" are the latest things to emerge that are real good ways to make a quiet machine.

The trick with externals in general is to find both cooling and isolation.
Many enclosures do dissipate heat rather well by using Alu sides---but these can resonate- and if you furthur enclose (wood box) you can lose some of the heat exchange effect--which is why Mike mentions a fan.

It may seem counterproductive to ADD a fan....but a fan you strain to hear at 12" becomes a zero at 72" especially if the soundpath is not straight-line

Within a year,the cost of a 16G SSD will be down enough to be practical.
I could see a multi-boot setup with a partition having a slightly stripped down XP on the SSD,the stuff you use a lot...web surfing etc.
When that's all the session involves.....you don't even switch on the remote HDDs. No moving parts.

Remote....in that housing I describe....is a 76 G Raptor and a 500 G spinpoint T. The Raptor has a Stripped to the bone install of XP for hardcore games or heavy Audio or Video..whatever your "power User " thing is. Another partition may be a full Vista with all the bells and whistles. There's room for a Linux there too if you want or a 64 bit XP...whatever. The Acronis Boot Mgr lives on the small SSD. The Raptor however is just another bootable SATA.

The Samsung gives a whole lot of bulk storage. You can partition to your liking. There would be times it's left off. That the Raptor and Samsung are not running-not even idling,a % of the time can stretch out their life span a lot.

If you want to get real clever.....You do TWO of the 16 G SSD's as a SATA MIRRORED Raid. That makes your core unit,your boot mgr,maybe a small partition for key personal stuff...pretty bullet proof.

Anyhow.....that's a strategy I'm hoping to try someday.

Mike's DIY option is a decent start,and can be low $. Regular SATA just allows a 3' distance. eSATA doubles that and those extra inches are what cancels out the effective noise altogather.

If say you are at a desk....picture the housing on the floor...under the desk and all the way back. Meanwhile-it's in a thick walled box and a 600 rpm fan is in the rear or bottom. I'd use a 120 mm fan. Why not? All you need is what air you'd get at 500-600 rpm.

There IS some cost in getting one or 2 Externals---so you get to use eSATA at 6'....and you need to buy the 6' cable seperate.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:53 am

Well... I've been thinking and it all comes down to:

A) An Antec MX-1 enclosure
or
B) A cheap eSATA enclosure, gut it, lay it on foam and just use its PCB to connect power and data cables to the HDD. (Less vibration/noise)

SilentKev

Post by SilentKev » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:54 pm

rpsgc wrote:Well... I've been thinking and it all comes down to:

A) An Antec MX-1 enclosure
I have this enclosure and it's quiet enough for me and quite cool as well. A good discussion of this product: Antec MX-1: Actively Cooled External HDD Enclosure

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:39 am

What about a WD My Book? Would the eSATA version allow to change the AAM setting?