Seagate 7200.7 P-ATA and 7200.8 SATA qualities

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

halbhh

Seagate 7200.7 P-ATA and 7200.8 SATA qualities

Post by halbhh » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:49 pm

A lot of people, having enjoyed their very quiet Seagates and looking to upgrade for performance or video storage, will wonder about the 7200.8 large drives, and especially about the SATA.

As some may already know, Seagate apparently ships the SATAs in a higher performance seek mode which makes some seek access noise, and the P-ATA (old style parallel) in a quiet mode which one would suppose would be a little slower. Well.....

I brought the new monster (part of my new PVR function for my computer (video recorder and playback for TV and movies), and here's my story:

My sweet seagate 7200.7 P-ATA is about 14 months old, 40Gig, a ST340014A, and basically you can't hear it without considerable efforts. I originally wrote the remainder of this post at storagereview.net re the 7200.8....

I spent a lot of time reading mostly at Tom's Hardware, and a little at Anandtech to choose my new drive: a 250Gig 7200.8, which I've now had for about 4 days. It's my 4th or 5th Seagate, and my previous one a 40 gig 7200.7, has been flawless in every way and so silent that you can't even tell if it's busy seeking with your ear anywhere except in full contact with the case! Basically the 7200.7 (note the model above) was never audible, and the new 7200.8 has two sounds: a muffled seek sound which isn't bothering me yet, with my summer air conditioning during the afternoon, and even in the quiet morning time. (more on the second sound later.) I've spent a good bit of time and money on this, my second silent computer (A64 3000, with sweet qualities).

But the advantage to the 7200.8 here is exactly that I can tell when it's busy(!), and thus what's going on when my computer pauses. This has become really important to me actually.

With the 7200.7 I never knew, and often wanted to know, what the heck was causing my computer to pause -- drive bottleneck or some strange system or software thing (I don't know why my nice quality case doesn't have a hard drive light, lol). When you can detect the drive working, then you can know what is happening. So that's a plus for the 7200.8, with it's gentle access sounds.

[note: I tried a 200Gig 7200.8 Sata and it vibrated a little so I returned it to newegg and got the 250gig] (note: see 3rd post re my computer case as a sensitive sounding board)

But....the second sound (7200.8 250gig).....it has at times had an off and on high-pitched pure tone, very high, medium loud, and somewhat piercing. [edit note: later posts on this sound, which has faded and not come back] Currently though it has been quite now mostly (98% of the time) for the last hour, which come to think of it, has happened before. Perhaps it matters how long the system is on, and if the drive is fully warm. Perhaps there's a break in period. Overall, since I like the access noise, if the high pitched thing reduces some more, I'll be satisfied quiet satisfied (pun intended).

Performance wise, with very careful testing on my identical software and system after the change over, I find that on the whole average overall the 7200.8 is perhaps slightly faster than the 7200.7 during most days use, although slower a little on bootup (just 3 seconds though). It's a wash, since the bootup and come out of hibernate lack of better performance are important enough to balance the superior large file (read video) performance.

But....the drive is mainly to record and work with video from my TV-capture card as my PVR, so....since it is faster for large file read and and write (significantly, especially for write -- 10 seconds less to write to hibernate for example), I'm pleased enough with the performance on the whole -- it's excellent where it counts and close in the other most other areas, according to about 5 reviews, which hightlight a good performance, echoing mine, with large file loads and writes.

So....good qualities as a large video file drive, and let's face it, that's the only reason most of us have for going over 80Gigs to start with!

! Excellent in the only place it really matters for many of us speed wise.

Now I'm thinking I'll bring back the 7200.7 as the system drive for bootup (where it is a tiny bit faster anyway, and use the 7200.8 as the data drive just for video and backups, and get some advantage from using 2 channels anyway. So frugal though I am, I'll not be donating the old 7200.7 to someone else after all. If I scrape together another system for a friend, they'll just have to shell out $60 for their drive! :)

Fingers crossed about the high pitched, which has been blissfully silent now for a good while.
Last edited by halbhh on Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

halbhh

Just a little of the high pitched noise this morning

Post by halbhh » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:37 am

This high pitched pure tone, near the top of human hearing range, near but below a silent (to humans) dog whistle to try to describe it. It is not loud. All other non-computer noises need to be off to hear it. It is repeating right now (I turned everything off in my very quiet room so that I could monitor it). When it happens it lasts about 2 seconds and repeats about 6-20 seconds later, at roughtly equal intervals. Such a marginal kind of noise from such a machine as a hard drive must be temperature and humidity dependent and must also physically change over time as the machine breaks in and wears. So it can't be predicted yet and the jury is still out. It seems to be absent at times too, as noted before, so I'll report again soon on it.

I will update re this in a couple of days and in a couple of weeks. For now I'm optimistic about the drive.
Last edited by halbhh on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

halbhh

Just Realized: there is Zero vibration, no need for mitigati

Post by halbhh » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:42 am

And.,... my case is like a guitar sounding board almost. Ridgid aluminum and even slightly loose joints for the front and side panels. If there is a vibration, even a little, it will show up dramatically for me.

This 7200.8 Sata has zero vibration. No suspending of drive will be needed here.

halbhh

Report on the High Pitched Whistle Tone

Post by halbhh » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:55 am

Well, there was only a very little of the high-pitched whistle today, and I had to turn off the A/C to check, since it's never been loud. It was different today, a kinda double pulse and quicker, and then faded.

Right now, and for a good while (an hour), there is no such sound at all, and so it is definitely less each day, and appears to be disappearing with time.
Last edited by halbhh on Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

halbhh

Nice

Post by halbhh » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:59 pm

Well, it ran all day long and the high pitched whistling noise never came back after the brief time near bootup. Blissful quiet. I like this 7200.8 sata drive.

chylld

Post by chylld » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:24 pm

thought i'd add another voice to this rather lonely thread :)

now that i don't use my crt anymore, i can hear the same kind of high-pitched noise you describe. on for a few seconds, off briefly, on for another few seconds. for me, it seems to happen only when windows is idling. when something's happening, it goes away. i can't pin-point it to a particular component in my computer, but given i have 3 seagate 7200.7 hard drives it would make sense to start there :)

assuming it's that - is there any way to quiet this noise down? like is there software that we can run (e.g. aam) to change the way the hard drive's used?

in the meantime i'm going to go and reinstall f@h... cos i just realised while typing this post that that'll fix it :)

ThAz

Post by ThAz » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:26 am

New Seagates (i would think that this applies to all harddrives) calibrates itself , the sound should go away after a few days/weeks depending on how long the harddrive is on.

halbhh

It's quite, fast, and it's a Seagate

Post by halbhh » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:54 am

The sound has mostly gone away and is only present sometimes (not always) at cold boot (after computer has cooled below 65 degrees), but goes away in maybe 15 minutes after it warms. Another update in a few days.

Otherwise this 250 Gig Seagate 7200.8 SATA performs well, and has relatively soft yet audible seek sounds. This seek sound has no clicks or hard edges, like it's muffled into a dull gentle sound. I like being able to hear the seek sound and know when my system is using the hard drive a lot, and when pauses are due to hard drive use vs other causes. If you have 1 Gig of system memory, there isn't much seek noise during extended periods of web page reading, etc, so it's tolerable.
Last edited by halbhh on Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

peterson

Post by peterson » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:47 am

chylld wrote:thought i'd add another voice to this rather lonely thread :)

now that i don't use my crt anymore, i can hear the same kind of high-pitched noise you describe. on for a few seconds, off briefly, on for another few seconds. for me, it seems to happen only when windows is idling. when something's happening, it goes away. i can't pin-point it to a particular component in my computer, but given i have 3 seagate 7200.7 hard drives it would make sense to start there :)
I have that sound too occasionally, and i haven't been able to locate it. Never thought it was the Seagate though. More like the mobo or something.

hyperluz

Noisy 7200.7

Post by hyperluz » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:43 am

I got a Seagate Barracuda 160GB SATA w/ NCQ.
(ST3160827AS with firmware 3.42)

Idle, sounds ok.
However, seek noise is anoying. :(

Hope this noise goes down after some weeks or some good soul release an AAM patch.

Sooty

Re: Noisy 7200.7

Post by Sooty » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:38 am

hyperluz wrote:I got a Seagate Barracuda 160GB SATA w/ NCQ.
(ST3160827AS with firmware 3.42)

Idle, sounds ok.
However, seek noise is anoying. :(

Hope this noise goes down after some weeks or some good soul release an AAM patch.
As is already established, 7200.7/8 PATA are nearly always significantly quieter than their SATA counterparts, but you could try switching off NCQ. That made a big difference to seek noise for one guy I was reading about.

Welcome to SPCR hyperluz!