Programs which will NOT monitor HDD Temp in RAID configurati

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bussoguy

Programs which will NOT monitor HDD Temp in RAID configurati

Post by bussoguy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:57 pm

Further to my posts at http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=29456
If anyone is interested , I have installed and tried the following programs for temperature monitoring of hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration and not one one of them was successful.
Most reported SMART overall status only , none temperature of individual drives. These are my own observations ... I could be missing something.
Programs tested:
1. Speedfan V4.28
2. Intelli SMART V 3.0
3 Personal Smart Check V 1.2.0
4. HDD Temperature SCSI 1.4.20
5. HDDlife Pro 2.7.85
6. Motherboard Monitor V 5.0
7. Everest Ultimate V 2.80

Mind you all the programs had very good stuff to offer, so it wasn't a wasteby any means.
If anyone has a program that does monitor individual drive temperature for HDD in RAID configuration I would like to know.

FrankDC

Post by FrankDC » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:39 am

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7b.html

The utility is free and less than 3MB.

bussoguy

Post by bussoguy » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:05 am

I think sometimes I'm getting to old for this. I download Seatools and it 's opening splash sceen taks about "data protection" and temp sensors but once the prog opens nowhere can I find Temp measurement. Even temperature can not be found in "Help" "Search"

What am I missing

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:51 am

Not being able to read the temps in RAID often has as more to do with the RAID controller than the software program. If your RAID controller doesn't pass the SMART data through for each drive individually there's no software in the world that will be able to see the temps. Onboard RAID controllers on desktop motherboards seem to be less likely to fully support SMART monitoring than add-on cards or server-grade boards are.

Have you tried dTemp? (it's in our download area)

FrankDC

Post by FrankDC » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:52 am

bussoguy wrote:I think sometimes I'm getting to old for this. I download Seatools and it 's opening splash sceen taks about "data protection" and temp sensors but once the prog opens nowhere can I find Temp measurement. Even temperature can not be found in "Help" "Search"

What am I missing
Do your individual drives appear in the device listing?

If so, what info is displayed when you double-click on each device?

As the other poster mentioned, if your RAID controller isn't passing this SMART info, no program (short of a utility from the controller mfr) will be able to retrieve it

bussoguy

Post by bussoguy » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:08 pm

No it doesn't list the drives indivdually.
Listed device is "Target : Si 0 Raid 0 Set 0 Vers: 1100 Capacity=390719 online"
Yes I must agree with the comment that the raid controller is probably the problem.
Since starting this pursuit, the sticky on temperature has diminished the passion for temp monitoring and I will probably just let the drives get on and do what they do best. Looking back I have never had a hard drive failure and the 2-3 year life before discarding for newer faster drives is probably why.
Thanks all for your interest.