Samsung SP1614N Available in US

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bondiablo

Samsung SP1614N Available in US

Post by bondiablo » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:50 am

Looks like a few sites finally have the SP1614N in stock, for real this time. Most of them also had some of the other 8MB drives (SP0421N,SP0812N,SP1213N). Unfortunately not many of them look like particularly reputable places.

MonarchComputers
AxionTechnologies
OasisComputers
KnowledgeMicro
MemoryMedia
MemoryLabs
DealSurprise
ewiz
Last edited by bondiablo on Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

karmasalad

Post by karmasalad » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:26 am

I've never ordered from them, but Monarch Computers is a very reputable dealer from what I've heard. They're one of the top-rated resellers over at Reseller Ratings.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller_i ... er_id=2079

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:40 am

OT: May I pose a question about sellers rating. Why is so important for the company has to reputable?

I mean in the UK we order online without knowing too much about the company, except if I find the service to be quick and efficient on my first order I may use them again. We don't have the vast amounts of e-tailers as you do in the US.

Is it that, they don't send you the product on time? They don't uphold their warranties? Or are there many fradulent companies? Terrible service or what?

Please let me know because we in the UK don't do much research into the company as you do over there.
Last edited by ez2remember on Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

tragus
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by tragus » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:47 am

Yippee! Thanks for the pointers.

Any new information about when/if the SATA versions will arrive in the States? I've got to make a decision soon and will otherwise choose the Maxtor (since performance slightly outweighs sound for my application).

EZ: What does one want/need in a[n on-line] retailer?
  • Ease of ordering
    Low prices
    Good mechandise
    Reliable and predicable shipment
    Sales support
    Low-hassle returns
Unreputable vendors typically have a host of complaints and problems-- for example, charging credit cards for "backordered" items, lack of any status communication about the order, very slow shipping, shipping wrong items, difficulties in correcting vendor mistakes, items claimed to be "in-stock" at time of order but are "on order" from manufacturer when a occurs, difficulties in getting a real person to answer a phone and/or provide any meaningful information about your order and/or speak intelligible English, etc., etc., etc. For certain items, e.g., cameras, some vendors sell "grey market" items (intended for sale in another country) which do not come with manufacturer's warrantee in the country of final sale. There aren't too many cases of outright fraud, but the hassle-factor can be very high indeed. Look at any low-rated resellers for a list of horror stories.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Re: Samsung SP1641N Available in US

Post by lenny » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:08 am

bondiablo wrote:Looks like a few sites finally have the SP1641N in stock, for real this time.
Good find, bondiablo.

I checked out MemoryMedia in reseller ratings, their rating is dismal. Not sure I'd want to order from them online, but they are local. If their prices are the same for local pickup (don't see why not, they get to keep the "free" shipping, but some places don't want to deal with the hassle) I may consider. They also have the lowest price on the Optorite DD0203 black.

Is that burning smell from my credit card?

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:09 am

Thanks for that Tragus, the reason I posed the question is because over here, there are not many e-tailers. So usually the best price is the biggest influence over here to buy thier goods. We don't have a sellersrating.com over here, maybe we should have one so that all online shops improve their service. :lol:

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:14 pm

ez2remember wrote:Thanks for that Tragus, the reason I posed the question is because over here, there are not many e-tailers. So usually the best price is the biggest influence over here to buy thier goods. We don't have a sellersrating.com over here, maybe we should have one so that all online shops improve their service. :lol:
I sometimes try google groups to find comments on a seller. Not quite as good as some of these websites, but it may give you a general idea about a retailer.

mckennaiii

Post by mckennaiii » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:25 am

monarch computer has an excellent reseller ratings and they always answer my emails promptly.
axion tech. has always been prompt on any order i have placed with them.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:25 am

bondiablo - Thanks for the heads up!

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:31 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:bondiablo - Thanks for the heads up!
I second that. Thank you for posting this info!

8)

Liquidated

about monarch

Post by Liquidated » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:28 pm

I've been using monarch for a while now usually getting premade mb + cpu + heatsink combo's so I go to friends houses and just install the mb.

Never once ever had a problem with them in terms of customer service nor the wares they've sold me, it's all shown up on time in one piece.

That said, I kinda hope they do send me a doa board so I can try out the rma process... then again maybe not!

Like monarch alot.. take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Cheers!
-liq

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:39 am

Has anyone seen any of the 80GB, 8MB cache (the model "SP0812N") drives at any online vendor other than the ones listed in the first post?

I'm getting real impatient waiting for one of these and I really don't need more than 80GB of storage. Plus, the 80GB drives have just the one platter while the bigger drives have two, so the 80GB drive should be quieter than it's multi-plattered siblings.

ojg
Friend of SPCR

Re: Samsung SP1614N Available in US

Post by ojg » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:31 pm

Hi!
Anybody have any experience with ordering from these?
MemoryMedia
Reason I am asking is that they have two different prices on the disk, and one is $20 less than the other (and everybody else). Just wondered what the catch was...

Thanks!

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Samsung SP1614N Available in US

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:33 am

ojg wrote:Hi!
Anybody have any experience with ordering from these?
MemoryMedia
Reason I am asking is that they have two different prices on the disk, and one is $20 less than the other (and everybody else). Just wondered what the catch was...

Thanks!
I sure wouldn't buy anything from them. They have a Really Crappy Resellerrating.

That's the reason I asked, in the post above yours "Has anyone seen any of the 80GB, 8MB cache (the model "SP0812N") drives at any online vendor other than the ones listed in the first post?". I don't like buying from those kind of semi-shady places.

Chymaera

Post by Chymaera » Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:30 pm

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:05 pm

Actually, they don't...

He wants the 8 meg version.

Excaliburpc and Monarch have the 8 meg versions of the 120 and 160, but not the 80. (I went with the 120 to save $30.). Anyway, I imagine the extra platter won't make THAT much difference. It's still second to the Barracuda IV according to Mike, and I think he said in some cases it was quieter (?).

Chymaera

Post by Chymaera » Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:42 am

Woops...Sorry, my mistake. :(

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:47 am

Shadowknight wrote:.

Excaliburpc and Monarch have the 8 meg versions of the 120 and 160, but not the 80. (I went with the 120 to save $30.).
I'm still holding out for the 80GB, 8MB version so I'll use this a a "bump" to see if anyone's seen any of those for sale yet.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:51 pm

Well, I got one of the 1213Ns today.

120gb with 8meg of cache, PATA. (Wanted to wait for SATA but after a year and a half of living with an extremely LOUD WD drive, I couldn't wait anymore).

The drive does eminate a high pitched whine, but only when I put my ear within a foot of it (with the drive outside the case). I can't hear it inside the case.

Seeks seem to be inaudible, albiet I don't have the quietest computer around. Seems faster than my old WD drive.

Overall I'd say it's a pretty good drive. It's an OEM version (which I was unaware of when I made the purchase, as it was mentioned WAAAAY down on the bottom of the page), so I have NO idea if I qualify for the 3 year warranty or not.

Since I've never handeled a Barracuda IV, I can't compare, but I HAVE handeled a 7200.7, and this drive is about as quiet (or quieter).

P.S. - I've heard complaints about the noise of the 7200.7, but it seemed perfectly quiet to me.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:06 am

The 1213's and 1614's are finally available at Newegg for $112 and $139, respectively. Still no 80GB versions though :(. That's what I'm holding out for because of the single platter. If anyone sees the 80GB, 8MB version for sale at a reputable vendor, please post it here. Thanks!