Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1

Asus Probe not too swiftus

Post by aristide1 » Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:38 pm

My Asus Probe readings (Asus CUSL2)

cpu - 11C/51F
mb - 26C/78F

room temp - appx 68F

At first I thought maybe the first 2 readings were reversed, but I soon realized than there's no way either temp could be 17 degrees below room temp. The mb temp seems to be correct.

So how do I get an accurate cpu temp reading? Is te cpu temp at least an accurate reference, meaning even if it's not the correct value (lets say it's 30C low) can I rely on it being 30C low all the time? Pity the lowest value for cpu warning temp is 52C.

Thanks

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:18 am

Use Motherboard Monitor and set it up using sensor "Asus 1" as the case temp sensor and "Asus 2 (Cusl2)" as the CPU temp sensor. MBM works great on Cusl2's, I've used it on several. The "Asus2 (Cusl2)" setting puts some temp compensation into the software to correct some weirdness in the Asus hardware.

bobkoure

Post by bobkoure » Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:18 am

There's a paper on this issue at the AMD site.
Essentially, as the athalons had no on-die thermal sensing, it was up to the m-board mfgr to put one under the die - and then extrapolate from that to actual die temp. The extrapolation changes from ceramic ball grid array to organic ball grid array (organic is supposedly the same top and bottom).
Oh - this also means you'll get a bogus reading if your water cool as there's no under-die cooling from a non-existent fan breeze.
Bob