the choice of cpu and cpu cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

EVAN_C

the choice of cpu and cpu cooler

Post by EVAN_C » Mon May 19, 2008 1:23 am

I need some suggestions from you. pls help!!

I wanna choice the level of cpu and cpu cooler

there are two choices now

A) An expensive cpu with high performance + common cpu cooler
B) A cheaper cpu(but overclocking to the same high performance) +
expensive cpu cooler with superior performance

and the budgets are the same
should I choice A or B

pls give me any comments , thanks

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon May 19, 2008 1:26 am

wouldn't good CPU with Good CPU cooler be good enough? It would be nice to know what kind of purpouse you're building your computer and what are your choices for CPU.

You have abundent choices but forexample if go with Quad or Dual do define what cooling necessary you will need to have. Especially OC'ed Quads intend to run hot.

but in your scennario: B) would be better.

But hey, Welcome to the SPCR!!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon May 19, 2008 8:43 am

Hello Evan & welcome to SPCR!

It would be easier to comment if you mentioned more specifics -- what CPU's and what heatsinks/fans are you considering?

Did you see the SPCR review of the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 ($38 shipped!)?

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article818-page1.html

EVAN_C

Post by EVAN_C » Wed May 21, 2008 9:40 pm

Thank for your comments.here's really a cheerful place

my question is an assumption for intel cpu

but it's hard to find the same budget

A) QX9650 up to 4.2G($1,025) + XIGMATEK HDT-S1284($44) => $1069
cpu performance better and more more expensive
but...is it better enough for its price??

B) Q6600 up to 3.6G ($230.99) + ZALMAN Reserator($419.99) =>$649.1
i believe Q6600 a value choice.
the ZALMAN Reserator i can still use when i upgrade next time

i think the money isn't a problem. but i hope that it's worthy of each dallor i spend

which one do you recommend ?

thanks

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Thu May 22, 2008 2:39 am

EVAN_C wrote:i think the money isn't a problem. but i hope that it's worthy of each dallor i spend
If that is important to you, do NOT get any Intel CPU with an X in its name. Why? Because the only difference is an unlocked multiplier. Even though it does make overclocking easier, it literally costs hundreds more. An unlocked multiplier is certainly not worth hundreds of dollars.

Because of the amazing overclocking ability Intel's CPUs have, a cheap CPU can often provide nearly the same performance as a more expensive model. For example, the E2160 costs $60. If you OC it to 3GHz, its just as fast as a E6750, that costs $180.

That said, I would recommend either the E8400 (dual core) or the Q9450 (quad core). I'm not sure how the Zalman Reserator performs, so I can't comment on that. But for most people the Xigmatek+CPU is enough.

Gillian Seed
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gillian Seed » Thu May 22, 2008 4:22 am

I recently bought a Q6600, and TRUE and a Nexus fan.

I'm running at 3.2GHz (400x8), my idle temps are 31-32 C and get to 55 under sustained high load with virtually no increase in voltage, I could probably push it to 3.4 and maybe 3.6, but in exchange for much higher voltage and much higher temps. Honestly, the extra voltage I needed to get it to 3.3GHz was hard to justify - I am coming to this from a 2.4GHz Athlon XP. :-)

I personally wouldn't pay the extra for the QX9650... althouh 45nm will produce less heat, and the extra cache will be nice.. I don't see it as being worthwhile. The 45nm are slightly faster clock-per-clock.

I did consider the Q9450 instead of the Q6600, but then I saw the overclocking potential of the G0 Q6600 and I decided to put the money I saved toward a nice graphics card...

I am extremely happy with my Q6600, even when I consider that its the cheapest and slowest and oldest Core2Quad you can buy. :)