Scythe Ninja vs. Thermalright HR-01 ?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

KlaymenDK

Scythe Ninja vs. Thermalright HR-01 ?

Post by KlaymenDK » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:47 am

Hi,
I'll be putting an Intel E8500 on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R in an Antec P182, and I wanted to cool it with a Thermalright HR-01.

But now it's been TWO friggin' MONTHS since I ordered the cooler at what seems to be the only Danish reseller, but they've kept postponing the thing by a week again and again until I've now finally given up. I have all the other things ready to go, but don't want to start until I have everything (I could use the stock Intel cooler, but the eventual swap would be messy).

I've written directly to Thermalright to ask if they'll sell me one directly, but I'm also thinking I should look into other options, such as the Scythe Ninja -- which curiously and not very conveniently is also very hard to obtain in Denmark.

So how do they stack up against each other? Or what else is the current best passive 775 cooler?

mkk

Post by mkk » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:38 am

I'd say it's worth waiting for the HR-01 Plus. You could order one from Sweden if you're desperate. ;) http://prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=251120
Last edited by mkk on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

QuietOC

Re: Scythe Ninja vs. Thermalright HR-01 ?

Post by QuietOC » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:38 am

KlaymenDK wrote:So how do they stack up against each other? Or what else is the current best passive 775 cooler?
Has Scythe fixed their LGA775 mounting yet? If not then the Ninja isn't great for that platform.

I am using a cheap Coolink BAT1VS for LGA775 which is now a Scythe product--It seems as good as my revision B Ninja, and cost a lot less with a nice LGA775 mounting method (easy to increase pressure too). Throw away the fan pictured above that comes with it, however. I am sure it is no match for the Thermalright HR-01 Plus.

maf718

Re: Scythe Ninja vs. Thermalright HR-01 ?

Post by maf718 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:12 am

QuietOC wrote:Has Scythe fixed their LGA775 mounting yet? If not then the Ninja isn't great for that platform.
Scythe have released a proper mounting system for LGA775 but you have to pay extra for it, pushpins still come as standard on Ninja 2 etc, at least in the EU. I emailed Scythe EU in Germany to ask if they were going to start packaging the mounting kit with the Ninja: they replied no and suggested I could "upgrade" to the stabilizer 775 kit if I didn't trust pushpins.

So I ordered a Thermalright cooler instead. (IFX-14 because my etailer was also out of stock of HR-01, and the IFX-14 was going for the same price at the time I placed my order). It should arrive tomorrow, let's hope it fits in an Antec Solo.

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:51 am

mkk wrote:I'd say it's worth waiting for the HR-01 Plus. You could order one from Sweden if you're desperate. ;) http://prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=251120
Bought it (from Inet.se), they had tons in stock. That wasn't so hard, was it?

It should be on my doorstep within a few days, and it was even considerably cheaper than what I would have paid at the Danish supplier -- which I've made sure to give a scalding review when I cancelled my order there.

mkk, thanks for pointing out that Swedish portal -- I'll be using it again!

KlaymenDK

Thermalright are nice folks

Post by KlaymenDK » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:59 am

I wrote directly to Thermalright to ask if they'll sell me one directly. With your help, I found a not-so-local dealer before I received their reply.

Would you believe it, they've thanked me for pointing the matter out to them, asked if I had any suggestions for better dealers than shg.dk, and they're sending me a little gift for my trouble.

Nice folks. It's good to know they're taking their customer care seriously, esp. when their resellers fail to do so.

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:57 am

KlaymenDK wrote:
mkk wrote:You could order one from Sweden if you're desperate. ;) http://prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=251120
Bought it (from Inet.se), they had tons in stock. That wasn't so hard, was it?
mkk, thanks for pointing out that Swedish portal -- I'll be using it again!
...not so fast. They have just sent me an email explaining they can't ship outside of Sweden. :cry:

I am trying to convince them to accept additional shipping charges and send the order anyway; if not then it's not a matter of money but regulations.

I guess this would be the same for most dealers listed on prisjakt.nu, so so much for that idea. :?

To be continued ...

tim851

Post by tim851 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:48 am

Regulations? This is the bloody EU now, isn't it? Ordering from Sweden shouldn't be any more difficult than ordering from a neighbouring city.

Maybe you want to try pc-cooling in Germany, an online shop I've had good experiences with in the past. This is the link for the HR-01

They do ship to Denmark for 6,10 Euro and you can pay with PayPal.

Unfortunately they don't seem to retail the accompanying Airduct anymore, which decreases my CPU temps by another 5°C. Nevertheless, the HR-01 is still an awesome cooler and I'd buy it all over again!

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:17 pm

Problem (due to be) solved -- turns out my wife has a colleague who lives in Sweden. I'll arrange for the order to be sent to him, he'll bring it to work, and my wife will bring it home. Ta-dah.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:58 am

KlaymenDK wrote:Problem (due to be) solved -- turns out my wife has a colleague who lives in Sweden. I'll arrange for the order to be sent to him, he'll bring it to work, and my wife will bring it home. Ta-dah.
Congratulations ^^ Creative thinking do solve problems related to Silent PC's, other than how to make clean cablegami ^^

kaotikfunk

Post by kaotikfunk » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:44 pm

You mentioned the airduct is missing - does anyone know if its sold separately? The newegg pictures show the duct included, but other US-based sellers do not.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:39 pm

Hi,

I believe that the duct is available separately.

kaotikfunk

Post by kaotikfunk » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:58 pm

I found the ducts at frozencpu.com in the US. I'll probably go with the HR-01+ and the duct since I have an existing 120mm exhaust fan just a few CM from the CPU

DeDeRa

Post by DeDeRa » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:56 pm

Y use Ninja2 with retention Xigmatek Crossbow!