Prommies & Vapochill?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

neologan

Prommies & Vapochill?

Post by neologan » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:48 pm

Hi, I like the idea of finding a water cooled setup after failing in my attempt to setup the ultimate air cooling/low noise setup with decent temps :cry:

Then it dawned on me, how noisy are the two mainstream phase change units? - the Prometia Mach II and the Vapochill PE/XE?

Vapochill do a "barebones" system which has only a 120mm fan that could be volt modded. So how much noise does the compressor make? And is there anything else in these setups that makes noise?

I will definitely buy one of these if i can finally get an almost inaudible system.

Thanks

neologan

Gerco

Post by Gerco » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:47 pm

I have had an (old model) Vapochill and if you want to go for quietness, do NOT get one of these. you should do watercooling then, if I may say so. It is more modular to build and more userfriendly to maintain. Also the pump in a watercooling system is WAY not as noisy as a "compressor" in a vapo / prom unit. You could try to lower the fanspeed of any of these units but I think you will still need some high RPM to keep the unit functioning properly.

Default watercooling setups arent quieter by default tho, I should add. Only if you use large 12 cm fans and low RPMs. But at least with watercooling you can customize the unit to make it as silent as you want. In my case that means fanless (soon :)) There is very little to customize and quiet about a vapo / prom so you are pretty much stuck with the noise that you get.

Also for the cost of a vapo / prom unit you can get a VERY nice watercooling setup that is near inaudible, using a large radiator with quality fans running at 5 V. or a passive radiator as actually commercially available already (I had to make mine myself, 6 months ago)
http://www.innovatek.de/contentServ/3.0 ... toryID=752

I suppose you want a vapo / prom because you want to do overclocking. With watercooling there are also great options for overclocking. Obviously not as far as with any of these units but considering the price / quietness I would say watercooling is a better deal.