Low profile hsf for Tualatin

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Joe DeFuria

Low profile hsf for Tualatin

Post by Joe DeFuria » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:39 pm

A while ago, I upgraded two 440BX (Slot-1) machines in my house with slockets+PIII/Celerons @ 1.4 GHz. Not considering noise at all (/kick self), I chose this hsf to cool them both.

Dynatron DC1206

Yes, those suckers are pretty loud. (Definitely the loudest elements in both cases.) I need the low profile because, sitting in Slot-1, the CPUs don't have much clearance ahead of them.

My question is, do the 1.4 Ghz Celerons need much cooling at all, even under full load? If I undervolt the fans to 5V, would anyone think that would be an issue? (Of course, I realize case airflow will have a large impact on the answer...but if anyone has a "don't even try it" or "shouldn't be a problem at all" type answer / experience, that'd be helpful.)

Harry Azol

Post by Harry Azol » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:07 pm

I currently have a Celeron 1.0A @ 1.333ghz..

it does not take much at all to cool this cpu.. I just removed the intel stock fan and made a ghetto fan bracket (ala the zalman flower style) for a panaflo L1A..

the result is the cpu running cooler then my hd!
(temps right now: mb 28, cpu 34, hd 36)

al bundy

Re: Low profile hsf for Tualatin

Post by al bundy » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:07 pm

Joe DeFuria wrote:...If I undervolt the fans to 5V, would anyone think that would be an issue?
No I don't think you would have any problem with the fan running at 5V on that slocket/processor combo. I will soon be trying a similar idea on a slocket-modified, 1.4GHz Celeron, BX board too, if that matters to you.

Please do post back with your experience if you choose to try it out. Your experience with this mod would be most helpful.

8)

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:00 am

~35+ watt should not be that hard too cool. The heatspreader does not help, but still ~35w is not a lot. You can cool 60+ watt cpu with a fan @5v with the best HS.

Joe DeFuria

Post by Joe DeFuria » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:58 am

As it turns out, my MSI BX-Master in one of my PCs has software controllable fans. Found Speed Fan, and I'm able to use it to control my CPU fan. (Of course, in the 4 years or so since I've owned this motherboard, I don't think I ever installed MSI's own utility from the installation CD. :oops: )

So here's a couple data points from last night. Note that my case has one front 80mm, (turned off in these tests.) NO rear fan other than the PSU exhaust. At full power, the fan runs at 5650 RPM, and is by far the most audible component in the system.

Running at full CPU load (folding) and full fan speed, CPU tems were registering about 34 deg. C. I can cut the fan down to 30% power (resulting in 3900 RPM), and temps move up to about 36. At this level, the fan is not audible over the power supply. The case temperature (don't ask me where the sensor is...haven't looked!) and was under 40 in both instances.

That computer folded all night with the fan at 30%, and no problems.

If I turn the fan completely off, the temp rose to 52 C before I turned the fan back on. ;)

If I have time tonight, I may run so more tests with an Idle CPU. But certainly, I wouldn't anticpate any problems cooling Tualtins in general with any half-way decent hsf at 5V. (Just note note that while my heat-sink is low profile, it is copper.)

Now, the other computer is an old Dell Precision 410 workstation...no CPU fan headers. (The original PIII 550 in there had a large heat-sink and no fan at all, but the exhaust was ducted...the ducts had to be removed with the slocket in place.) That machine does have a rear fan. Since the CPU fan is just connected to a 12V molex, I'll probably just mod the molex connector to supply 5V....

The real challenge in quieting that Dell is going to be that proprietary power supply....but that's another issue for a different thread. :)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:32 am

Joe DeFuria wrote:
If I turn the fan completely off, the temp rose to 52 C before I turned the fan back on. ;)
52°C under load? For how long? That's a perfectly fine temp to run at, although it seems like you could be happy right now with the fans running at 5V and keep your temps lower. But when you replace that PSU with a quieter one you may have to reconsider your CPU fan speeds again. :)

Joe DeFuria

Post by Joe DeFuria » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:40 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:52°C under load? For how long?
Heh...only a minute because it still seemed to be going up....I would have waited but it was about 2 AM and I needed to get to bed! :)
That's a perfectly fine temp to run at, although it seems like you could be happy right now with the fans running at 5V and keep your temps lower. But when you replace that PSU with a quieter one you may have to reconsider your CPU fan speeds again. :)
Indeed. BTW, what CPU temp do you feel comfortable running with, given 24/7 operation?

mfeingol
Friend of SPCR

Post by mfeingol » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:48 am

My Powerleap PL-iP3/T came with a small copper heatsink that looks exactly like that Dynatron. The default 60mm fan was too loud, so I got a 60->80mm fan adapter and added a Panaflo L on a fanmate:

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/aladapter.html

Attaching the adapter to the heatsink was a little bit tricky. The adapter's screw sizes didn't exactly match the heatsink's holes. But I got it tight in the end, and it's very quiet at the lowest fanmate setting. I discussed this topic here earlier:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=5603

As an addendum, the temperatures I posted were in the heart of an unexpectedly hot summer. In the winter, temperatures are 7-10C lower (e.g., 38, 30, 21 with room temperature at 70F).

Joe DeFuria

Post by Joe DeFuria » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:09 am

mfeingol wrote:My Powerleap PL-iP3/T came with a small copper heatsink that looks exactly like that Dynatron. The default 60mm fan was too loud, so I got a 60->80mm fan adapter and added a Panaflo L on a fanmate
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, I don't think have the clearance for something like that. (My RAM gets in the way.)

In other news, I just orderd a Seasonic SuperTornado 400W. It's really for the new rig I'm going to be building over the next month or so, but I'm going to throw it in the Tualatin box to see how it works / how quiet it is under what should be a relatively "easy" load. (And I'll be able to judge if I want to fiddle with a different CPU cooling solution with a "quiet" power supply in operation.)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:49 pm

Joe DeFuria wrote:BTW, what CPU temp do you feel comfortable running with, given 24/7 operation?
I'd feel perfectly comfortable running my CPU in the high 50°C range 24/7 whilke doing some DC type of thing.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:57 am

I'm using the stock Intel Tualatin HS with my 1,3 GHz Tualatin Celeron & PowerLeap. I modded a Papst 8412NGL to the HS, with Fan Mate 1 at around 7 V. Underclocked the CPU to 1.15 V.

I'm lucky because my ABit BX6 rev2 has enough room to fit a larger fan. As You said, You don't have the room to fit. You could try to get a larger HS, and use a bracket to mount the fan above the HS.

The noisiest thing in my computer is the Fortron FSP350-60PN(PF).

Cheers,

Jan