Copper/ ALL copper really a big deal?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

liquid_celica

Copper/ ALL copper really a big deal?

Post by liquid_celica » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:23 am

Hey guys:

After months of deciding on a HSF I finally got my zalman 7000-Alcu. Mainly pricing and performance screamed out my answer. One problem that bothers me is that the temps are no better than the stock p4 HSF. Granted, it has been very hot these days in california, but there has been virtually no improvement from the day i had it till now. It's been about 2 weeks. It went from open space to under a desk with a 2-3 degree celcius change. I run idle now at 46 and at full with about 58!!! that's crazy!! The fans are running at 12v. Hecka high... Is copper the key? Should I have cleaned off old thermal paste better before applying the new arctic compund? Thanx

luggage

Re: Copper/ ALL copper really a big deal?

Post by luggage » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:33 am

liquid_celica wrote: Should I have cleaned off old thermal paste better before applying the new arctic compund? Thanx
Yes. You probably have far too much tim. And a mix of two different kinds? And a mix of old and new? :(

Read the artic silver instructions.

Blappo

Post by Blappo » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:28 am

Most of the reviews that I have seen show that the Cu version is only about 1º C cooler than the AlCu version. Considering the extra cost and weight, the Cu version probably isn't worth it.

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:31 am

liquid_celica wrote:Should I have cleaned off old thermal paste better before applying the new arctic compund? Thanx
Absolutely, positively YES!

Clean it off Goof Off and/or isopropyl and apply the TIM per the manf. directions.

Dave

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:19 am

liquid_celica wrote:Hey guys:

After months of deciding on a HSF I finally got my Zalman 7000-Alcu. Mainly pricing and performance screamed out my answer. One problem that bothers me is that the temps are no better than the stock p4 HSF. Granted, it has been very hot these days in California, but there has been virtually no improvement from the day i had it till now. It's been about 2 weeks. It went from open space to under a desk with a 2-3 degree celcius change. I run idle now at 46 and at full with about 58!!! that's crazy!! The fans are running at 12v. Hecka high...
Good god, what CPU are you using? What mobo? I live about 30 miles inland from you where the temp is 10-20°F hotter and both my P4 systems max out around high 30/low 40°C at idle during these hot afternoons, and that's with my 7000AlCu's at 5V!
liquid_celica wrote:Is copper the key? Should I have cleaned off old thermal paste better before applying the new arctic compound?

Thanx
No, an all-copper 7000 won't cool your CPU any better. You definitely do need to thoroughly clean all the old TIM off your CPU before applying new TIM and a new HS. If you didn't do that, you should rip it apart and clean it correctly, following the directions on Arctic Silver's website.

liquid_celica

Post by liquid_celica » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:14 am

after properly cleaning the TIM, it has lowered the temps about 2-4 degrees celcius. Thanx

De Sjelle

Post by De Sjelle » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:45 pm

Well, that's still to much. :)
Maybe your case airflow isn't optimal? If you remove the side door and temps are lower you know airflow isn't optimal. :)

PassiveMan

Post by PassiveMan » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:35 pm

Also use decent Tim such as Artic Silver 5 etc. The thermal grease that comes with Zalman is just no good...

liquid_celica

Post by liquid_celica » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:50 pm

interesting... I know it is too high, I have a friend that runs his 2.4 in a sonata at about 30 degrees celcius cpu and 24 celcius case.... Arctic thermal 5 aiy.... I have an sx-103B Full Tower Case w/ antec 300w smartpower psu. I thought it would be a good airflow system. I run one 80 mm front and one 80mm in the back.