Very High NorthBridge Temps!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Very High NorthBridge Temps!

Post by Bluefront » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:49 pm

I've never had an Intel 875 chipset board before....so I don't know if these temps are normal. But I'm registering about 52C (ambient 22) at max CPU usage. This is a P4-3.2 and the NB actually runs hotter than the CPU at all times. At max the CPU registers a 46C die temp.

The board came with a big NB heatsink with a small fan. I substituted a Swiftech NB heatsink....and removed it's fan. I modded the pin fins for better passive airflow. But it does get hot....maybe too hot?

Anybody know what's normal with this chipset?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:38 pm

eLekTRiK

Post by eLekTRiK » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:51 pm

Definitely not too hot. Chipsets are specified to run without problems at even higher temperatures than CPUs. Typical CPU throttle is at 70C, but chipsets tend to be rated for operation up to the 90-100C range.

I accidentally snapped the retainer on my overclocked 865PE chipset heatsink, and until I could find a suitable thermal adhesive I was just using a bunch of thermal paste and a wire to tie down a water block to it. Needless to say, it was not a very efficient thermal contact, but the system remained stable. When I eventually stuck a thermal probe in a suitable spot (wedged against the chip, not just touching the top of the heatsink) I measured 70C+. With a proper thermal contact, temps are now much better, but I can't tell you what "normal" is for air cooling because mine is using WC. Anyway, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:32 am

I've been using 845 and 865 chipset boards for a few years...and I never measured such high NB temps as with this 875 board. The fact Intel uses only a big passive aluminum heatsink I guess proves everything is ok.

Time will tell.....

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:59 am

I don't know about the 875, but according to Intel, the 865PE has a thermal spec of 99degC. I'd say the 875 would be similar. FWIW, my 865PE northbridge sits at around 60degC all the time.