What CPU temps should I expect from a stock P4 HS?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Boomerang Rapido

What CPU temps should I expect from a stock P4 HS?

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:24 am

Just got a P4 2.4 GHz yesterday. I installed it with the stock HS + Fan and the thermal pad it came with (i.e. no Arctic Silver or the like).

Idle temps are around 47 degrees C, according to Asus PC Probe (P4PE mobo). Does this seem like what I should expect? or is it high even for the stock HS?

And ofcourse, what sort of improvement should I expect from:
1: Using Arctic Silver 3 instead of the thermal pad?
2: Putting a Alpha PAL 8942 + Panaflo or Pabst low noise fan (at 12 V) on there instead of the stock HS?

ow and does anybody know the CoolerMAster P4 IHC-L71. How is the noise and cooling ability of that thing.... it IS a fair bit cheaper than the PAL :)

Ow PS: I ended up going with the chieftec dragon case. Should I expect to see a drop in CPU temp, if I fire up two of those case fans it came with?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:11 am

1) Your temps are a little high but can depend on other things like case design, case fans, ambient temps et. al.

2)Coolermaster HSF sucks, don't wast your money.

3)Alpha 8942, Thermalright SLK-900 are the top Socket 478 heatsinks right now. Either one will give you the most performance for your system.

Boomerang Rapido

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:34 am

Thanks..... I'm thinking of the PAL heatsink and a 26 db pabst fan which puts out 34 CFM. I take it that should be sufficient to keep the CPU cool!?

way2slo

Post by way2slo » Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:02 am

on my P4 2.0a, idle temp cpu 34c mobo 32c, under 95% cpu load, cpu 50c mobo 33c. room temp around 25c.
i just did some minor mod recently, zalman 300w psu, 2 x vantec 80mm in/out fans 5v, stock HS and cpu fan at 1450rpm with zalman fan mate, have a cheap fan 5v(dont even know what brand, just kicking around in my house)installed on top of the video card. after i put the fan on top of the video card, both mobo and cpu r cooled down by 2-3c, under full load, the cpu temp raises slowly intead of creeping fast(without the video card fan, temp goes up in no time)
overall. i m really happy with the temp and the noise level. thanks everyone in the forum for the help 8)

Boomerang Rapido

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:17 am

I just checked the PAL installation instruction (some PDF file)! Looks like I'll have to remove the plasic thingamajig that the stock P4 HS mounts to in order to install the PAL.. is that a correct assumption?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:01 am

Boomerang Rapido wrote:I just checked the PAL installation instruction (some PDF file)! Looks like I'll have to remove the plasic thingamajig that the stock P4 HS mounts to in order to install the PAL.. is that a correct assumption?
yes -- it's true for all P4 bollt-thru-board hs.

SteveDaB

Post by SteveDaB » Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 am

My P4 2.4 ran at about 30 degrees idle and about 41 under heavy load with the stock HS. I'm getting exactly the same temps with my new HS/fan but with a lot less airflow and noise.

Boomerang Rapido

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:13 am

Hmmm so either I didn't mount the heatsink right, or the Asus PC probe is not getting a correct reading.

Anyway I'm getting the PAL heatsink today and the AS3 and a low noise fan is in the mail... sure hope that solves it.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:28 am

This very second my 1.8A is running at stock speed and voltage, with the stock cooler.

Case temp is 28 C, CPU is at 44 C.

I might put my Alpha PAL back on this weekend. I'll try to remember to record the temperatures, but I remember them dropping about 2 C when I put it on last time.

Also, note that there is more than one kind of fan on the stock coolers.

Boomerang Rapido

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:35 am

Riffer wrote:Also, note that there is more than one kind of fan on the stock coolers.
So depending on my luck I could get a stock heatsink + fan that works really well or I could end up with one that works like crap... basically?

Ow well, I never intended to keep the stock heatsink for good anyway

bodosom
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: What CPU temps should I expect from a stock P4 HS?

Post by bodosom » Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:12 am

Boomerang Rapido wrote:Just got a P4 2.4 GHz yesterday. I installed it with the stock HS + Fan and the thermal pad it came with (i.e. no Arctic Silver or the like).

Idle temps are around 47 degrees C, according to Asus PC Probe (P4PE mobo). Does this seem like what I should expect? or is it high even for the stock HS?
I just got a 2.4G P4 in an ASUS P4PE. With the stock fan the BIOS monitor reports 40C. I see the same temps after installing (yesterday) a SLK-900 with an 80mm Vantech at 12V. I will be testing the 80 at 7v and probably a 92@7v. I got the retail cpu and it doesn't exactly have what I think of as a thermal pad. There's a silver adhesive strip covered with a black compound. The compound will wipe off -- the strip stays.

FWIW this is in a Lian-Li *60* case with the intake fans on low and the stock ADDA output fan.

Boomerang Rapido

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:57 am

bodosom wrote:There's a silver adhesive strip covered with a black compound. The compound will wipe off -- the strip stays.
Same thing with mine... that's what I was talking about when I said thermal pad!

Hmmm was I supposed to scrabe off that black compound????

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:34 pm

I took off the pad and the strip and replaced with Artic Silver.

Also, the installation of the Alpha PAL, as noted, is a pain in the butt, but once it is on, it is very easy to switch fans.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:07 am

bodosom wrote:There's a silver adhesive strip covered with a black compound. The compound will wipe off -- the strip stays.
No, if you wipe off the black stuff you need to remove the silver strip (and the black stuff that's underneath it) and clean up the leftover mess with isopropyl alcohol or acetone before you use ASIII.

Boomerang Rapido wrote:
Same thing with mine... that's what I was talking about when I said thermal pad!

Hmmm was I supposed to scrabe off that black compound????
If you're going to use the Intel thermal pad you need to leave the black stuff on it. It and the silver strip are all part of the thermal pad. It goes like this: black stuff-silver strip-blackstuff. If you wipe off the black stuff that's showing, there's still more black stuff underneath the silver strip.

If you're going to get rid of the Intel thermal pad and use ASIII you need to remove the entire pad. That includes the silver strip. When you pull the strip off the heatsink you'll find more black stuff underneath it. Clean that off too, before you use the ASIII.

Boomerang Rapido

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:01 pm

Well just an update.... I did some browsing around and as it turns out, a lot of people have experienced similar issues with the Asus P4PE board. It would seem that on quite a few boards the thermal sensor is calibrated wrong thus giving a wrong temperature reading.

Well I for one can't live with that.. even if the system IS stable anyway. SO the board went right back to the store and I got a Gigabyte Sinxp1394 instead. Has a few more bells and whistels AND the temperature readings here seem to be more on par with what can be considered normal.

Idle: 35-36 celsius
Load: Levels out at 44 celsius

These are with the Alpha 8942 HS and a Pabst 19 db fan.

SteveDaB

Post by SteveDaB » Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:15 pm

Those readings sound a lot more normal to me, and isn't it a nice feeling to get to the bottom of something like that. Kind of makes you feel like you weren't crazy after all.

*sniffs leftover acetone*

Boomerang Rapido

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:26 am

Yup, I have regained my sanity :D