Cooling dual Celeron 533s BP6 mobo

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

splatnix

Cooling dual Celeron 533s BP6 mobo

Post by splatnix » Mon May 12, 2003 8:14 pm

Hi there.

I'm trying to quiet down my server/Gentoo-box a bit, and I'm a bit new the silence arena. I have HSFs for my dual Celerons that are absurdly loud and I'm looking for something to help bring them down. Here's how the system is now (mind you, I can't hear the hard drives spinning):

- Full-tower case
- 4 generic 3000rpm 80mm fans (2 front-bottom intake, 2 top-rear exhaust)
- Abit BP6 mobo - Dual Celeron 533 (native, non-overclocked)
- 500W PSU (I can barely hear the fans on this when it's the only thing powered, so the PSU fans are fine for the time being - bottom intake 80mm + 80mm exhaust)
- ATI Radeon 64MB DDR
- Compaq tulip quad-port 64-bit PCI NIC in 32-bit mode (runs a tad hot)

DRIVES:
1. Western Digital (WD300AB-00CDB030)
2. Western Digital (WD300AB-00BPA1)
3. Western Digital (WD300BB-00AUA1)
4. Western Digital (WD300BB-32AUA1)
5. Western Digital (WD300AB-00BVA0)
6. Western Digital (WD307BB-32AUA1)
7. Maxtor (6Y120L0)
8. Maxtor (6Y120L0)
9. generic 52x CD-ROM

As you can see from my setup, I'm generating a LOT of heat. In current setup, each proc is currently running 55-60 C, while the internal case temp is steady at 75-80C. I am looking into replacing the Western Digital drives with 2 more Maxtors (they're running quite quiet).

I know my sound issue comes from the HSFs. Running the system without the fans on the HSFs running, it is very quiet (all of those drives run quietly).

Any suggestions from the forum to help with disappating heat quickly, and most importantly, quietly. I have to sleep with this server in my bedroom, so quieting this is of most utmost importance.

Combined with all ideas, I'd like to keep cost below $100 (if anyone has recommendations for other heat/silence resolutions). If you need more specific information, ask, and I'll get it for you.

Replies much appreciated. Help is even more appreciated. Thanks!
----
Jared - splatnix