What happens when you remove your CPU cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Dirge

What happens when you remove your CPU cooler

Post by Dirge » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:33 pm

I remember seeing an Intel Pentium 4 running Quake III non stop with the heat sink removed. When the processor reached a "trigger" temperature it automatically lowered its speed in order to decrease the generated heat.

I want to build a 'Silent' file server, or at least quiet enough to locate in my bedroom. It will be used for backing up my data and sharing media. There wont be allot of demand placed on this box.

What's the chance of running a Core 2 Duo or Pentium Dual core with its stock heatsink, but the fan removed or unpowered?

My plan is not as as extreme as the movie, as the heatsink will still be attached and I could add a 120mm case fan to keep the airflow moving.

Has anyone tried this?

wharrad

Post by wharrad » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Hi!

I remember a video like that with one of the low power VIA Epia systems... Can't say I've tried it myself.

BUT

I've been using a machine which doesn't have a good enough heatsink. It's a Core2Duo and as soon as it hits 90c, it halves it speed to bring it down to an 'ok' temperature of 82c.

So from that I guess it'll work.

But I think you're probably safer underclocking the machine to a more reasonable level or you will burn out the CPU quicker. Which I guess costs more than an aftermarket heatsink.

Oh, and I'm trying to get this machine fixed, but apparently Apple say it's normal - longgggg story!

Dirge

Post by Dirge » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:53 pm

I remember the VIA example as well, though I cant find a link to it.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:18 pm

I've got a VIA C7-D...it's actually a decent board. look up the Everex PC3500-G to see what i'm talking about. they ran with a whiny little 40mm fan, but i swapped mine out for a suspended 92mm fan that cools nearly the whole board. complete with one PCI and one PCI-e x16 slot, 2 SATA, 2 IDE, and i think 6 or 8 USB 2.0 connections, it's definitely worth it (i picked mine up for $40, as the one i originally had tanked because the die was crushed, long story).

it runs really cool, and a little active cooling will go a long way with it. I tried putting on an HR-05 northbridge cooler, but i don't think i had good enough contact, because the HR-05 was blazing hot in areas, and cold in others (poor cooling solution TBH, but if it was put together differently, might be better).

running an ITX platform with a desktop CPU might not be quite like an embedded solution.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:42 pm

Running a CPU at those temps is very much NOT RECOMMENDED. It will work for a short time, long enough for you to realize something is wrong. But it's not meant to run that way for extended periods. There are many heatsinks for sale (look in the recommended list) that are meant to be used in passive configurations. However, they all require some form of nearby airflow to remove the heat being generated.

Low-power CPUs are critical for starting down that route, with low TDP CPUs like Intel Core 2 Duo's and AMD Athlon X2 e-series at one end and very low power units like Intel Atom at the other.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:46 pm

Undervolting and underclocking whatever CPU you are using would be a good way to try and make this possible.

I'd go with removing the fan and placing a 120mm fan above the heatsink first, and then see if it is possible without the fan (only if your case has some airflow).

FWIW, my Pentium Dual Core E5200 is currently at 2Ghz and 1.0V in BIOS, but I'm sure I could push it a little lower, particularly if I reduced the clock speed. That's using a HR-01+ with Slipstream 800 at 5V though, but my temps are pretty decent, so there may be some headroom.

A pure file server shouldn't need much CPU power though - I'd guess that 1.5Ghz should be enough, which should allow more severe undervolting, which in turn reduces the heat that would have to be dissipated.

Best of luck with this, as I think it should be possible - no guarantees though!