Largest Heatsinks

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Dr.CrackEnHore

Largest Heatsinks

Post by Dr.CrackEnHore » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:21 am

I was wondering if anyone had some links for some extremely large heatsinks. Someone out the has to be making one that can nearly be run passive.

Boomerang Rapido

Re: Largest Heatsinks

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:14 pm

Dr.CrackEnHore wrote:Someone out the has to be making one that can nearly be run passive.
Well that all depends on what you're trying to cool doesn't it!? ;)

But I would think that it's not enough just making the heatsink bigger and bigger right!? There's gotta me some limit where any size/weight beyond that is just "dead weight". I mean if CPU's are getting hotter and hotter by every generation, at some point you'll come to a point where you just can't cool it by just sticking a huge chunk of copper on top of it. And really... haven't we already reached that point!?

falke
Friend of SPCR

Post by falke » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:22 pm

Dr.CrackEnHore

Post by Dr.CrackEnHore » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:35 pm

If anyone has anymore sites like this I would love to see them.

I knew people were doing stuff like this I just couldn't find any good sites.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Re: Largest Heatsinks

Post by Jan Kivar » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:48 pm

Boomerang Rapido wrote:
Dr.CrackEnHore wrote:Someone out the has to be making one that can nearly be run passive.
Well that all depends on what you're trying to cool doesn't it!? ;)

But I would think that it's not enough just making the heatsink bigger and bigger right!? There's gotta me some limit where any size/weight beyond that is just "dead weight". I mean if CPU's are getting hotter and hotter by every generation, at some point you'll come to a point where you just can't cool it by just sticking a huge chunk of copper on top of it. And really... haven't we already reached that point!?
Thermal conductivity anyone? Larger HS area is always better, but after a certain point the end result is the same no matter how much copper You use. This is because all the heat must go through the tiny area of the CPU to the HS. It's also bad that the processor cores keep getting smaller. I don't know what the thermal conductivity for heat pipes is, but I think that they are becoming more common.

Cheers,

Jan