Corsair H50 + Antec Solo?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Anodyne

Corsair H50 + Antec Solo?

Post by Anodyne » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:38 am

Has anyone seen a Corsair H50 water cooling unit installed in an Antec Solo case? I just installed one last night, and the radiator does not fit well at the rear 120 mm fan mount. I was not smart enought to check all the dimensions before installing. :oops:

The radiator bulges at the top and bottom ends, just enough that it won't fit in the 'up-down' orientation - the bulges hit the stiffener bar below the PSU and the screw holes can't line up. I mounted the radiator rotated 90 degrees and it seems to work fine functionally (happy so far with noise & temps), but now the radiator sticks out sideways just enough that the case side panel won't shut completely!

Has anyone seen a build that used an H50 + Solo, and how they managed to make the radiator fit? I've considered removing the stiffener bar, but not sure if that will do more harm than good.

AmonRaa

Post by AmonRaa » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:54 am

What harm could removing the stiffener bar do?

Anodyne

Post by Anodyne » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:03 am

:) I guess what I was asking was (1) has anyone tried this, and did the radiator fit OK with the bar gone, and (2) will my case get too 'flexy' if the bar is removed?

I usually don't remove parts like that from cases, so I didn't want to make yet another goof!

deathspared

Post by deathspared » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:00 am

I mounted it in an Antec solo by rotating it 90 degrees. The case shut fine with a little bit of work. You should be fine. I didn't remove the bar.

-Zack

Anodyne

Post by Anodyne » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Hmmm...which direction did you rotate it in, with the thicker end (the end with the tubing attachments) towards the motherboard or towards the case side?

I had to mount mine with the tubing end towards the case side, because the motherboard rear-panel jacks got in the way if I tried to mount it with the tubing towards the motherboard (because the end with the tubing sticks out a little bit more than the non-tubing side). Maybe it depends on your mobo?

deathspared

Post by deathspared » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:12 am

Ya, I mounted with tubes towards the motherboard. I have an Asus M2n32. Maybe that is the deciding factor as you said.

-Zack