Testing method for CPU air coolers

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Outaluck

Testing method for CPU air coolers

Post by Outaluck » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:44 am

Hi Guys, (and Girls)
New here, first post an all!

I am a bit confused (not hard for me) on the way CPU coolers are tested. From what I can tell the test bed is a horizontal platform but most coolers are used in cases where the motherboard is vertical. So from what I understand the heat pipes are liquid filled or partially filled and with a horizontal motherboard the liquid is in the base of the cooler where it gets heated from the cpu and boils off taking the heat to the top/fins of the cooler where it is cooled & returns to liquid state and gravity returns it to the base to cycle all over again.

When we use these coolers in a vertical position the liquid is not sitting in the base plate but more in the extremities of the pipes and not subject to the direct heat from the CPU and the gas/liquid cycle to transfer heat away from the CPU.

I am obviously missing something and curious to know how these coolers can work on a vertical motherboard?
Cheers

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Testing method for CPU air coolers

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:58 am

Modern heatpipes have a wick or wick structure inside, making orientation a non-issue. But in the beginning I remember it was a big deal. With certain coolers you had to make sure the motherboard was mounted the right way and also the orientation of the CPU socket mattered. The tech has matured I guess. :)

Outaluck

Re: Testing method for CPU air coolers

Post by Outaluck » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:58 am

Hmmmm,
I remember emailing one of the OEM's a long time ago and just got back a one liner. " no problem".
Thanks for the reply :)