Configuration advice needed

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

KaOSoFt

Configuration advice needed

Post by KaOSoFt » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:37 pm

I read Bluefront's testing with some fans, and I was kind of disappointed at Noctua NF-P12 performance. "I expected more..."
Bluefront wrote:My own personal take on all this.....I'm still saying the 1600 S-Flex is your best bet in a setup with restriction and filters. I saw what it did in a real-world test with my own eyes.
I see.

So all this "highger static pressure" information coming from the Noctua NF-P12 is actually a lie? I mean, if your test shows the Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F actually working better in a restrictive (heatsink fins?) environment, then for heatsinks the Scythe is still better, right?

My current case design is as follow: Image

If I want to improve performance, what fans should I choose? I have a Thermalright Ultima-90 waiting to be installed, and I plan to have a push-pull setup (for my Quad, since I want it running at 3.6 GHz :lol:). If I want to replace the two 120mm fans already running (a little bit noisy) in my case, what do you recommend me?

In the end:

1) For a push-pull configuration for the Thermalright Ultima-90, the 2x120mm fans should be [insert your answer here].

2) For case airflow, the intake fan on the front should be a [insert your answer here], and the exhaust fan should be a [insert your answer here].

Anyway, even though I'm pretty sure the fan on my video card will surely sound louder than the rest of the fans on my system at full load, I'm still looking for a quietest-as-possible solution; not silent (that'd be impossible for what I want to do :P). I hope the Scythes live up to the hype.

I'm also planning on getting a Thermaltake Tsunami. I don't know if I should actually get the one with the fan on the side panel, or the fanless solution. If someone's got this case, could you please give me advice on this?

I posted here because I'm more interested in the fans I'll get. My budget... well, I don't have much anymore, so it'll be like two years before I can update these again.

Thank you very much. I'll really appreciate your suggestions. :)

PS: Oh, and I don't have way to control fan voltage, so they'd be running at 12v.

KaOSoFt

Post by KaOSoFt » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:12 am

Hello?

Come on, I know most of this is subjective (even though fans are tested everywhere :P), but I'd really appreciate your advice.

If it were only for the specifications and reviews I've seen, I'd use two Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F for intake and exhaust case fans, and two Noctua NF-P12 for push-pull configuration on my Thermalright Ultima-90. That's the noise/performance ratio I'd like, but it wouldn't hurt if you help me out with your opinions.

Bluefront made me doubt of Noctuas' efficiency.

Thank in advice.

Kristian

Post by Kristian » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:29 am

I doubt you will see any noticeable difference on temps using Scythe or Noctua P. They are both good and quite fans judging from own experience and reviews on this site.

Push-pull on the heatsink is overkill.

As for case fans, both the Noctua P and the Scythe should do fine. Since you plan for both intake and exhaust fan you could also go with Noctua S fans.

I use a Noctua S for intake (back of case) and a Scythe s-flex for exhaust. The Scythe I think is slightly more noisy, but both fans are quite enough that I can't tell if my computer is on or off wihout looking at the lights on the case or put my ear really close to it. (except when HD's are active :) )

My case (Lian-Li v1000) has a seperate PSU and HD compartment. Here I have a Noctua S also. Running at very low speed.

I have no fans directly on the CPU heatsink. Only airflow comes from the Noctua S in the back of the case.

I use the Noctua S because it is rumored to scatter the intake air in a wider cone, thus creating airflow around more components than just the cpu/heatsink. I use the Scythe fan because it exhausts through a mesh on the side of the case. (I am considering trying the Noctua P for this)

Use either the BIOS utilities to control fans, or buy a Zalman Fan Mate II. It is very cheap. When you buy Noctua fans the box includes soft mounts and a cable to reduce fanspeed also. Don't know if it worth the premium but it is very handy.

Not the clear reply you had asked for I realise. :)

newschool

Post by newschool » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:54 pm

Thanks for the reply, even if im not the OP. Why didnt you get a Nexus 120mm for case fan (exhaust) ?

I am considering the new Noctua P fans for all my case fans. Should I get them or the old Noctuas considering they were designed for cases not heatsinks.

Oh Im seeing a lot of positive comments about the Scythe fans... but can someone point the differences between Ultra-Kaze,Slipstream and S-Flex?

Many questions I know but any advices are appreciated.