Fan question for Antec Solo

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tds

Fan question for Antec Solo

Post by tds » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:36 pm

I'm building a new system with the components below, but have some questions on what fans to get and how to connect them.

-MOBO: ASUS P7P55D PRO
-CPU: Intel Core i5-750
-CPU HS: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Heatsink
-Graphics: - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5850
-Case: Antec Solo
-PSU: CORSAIR 650TX 650W

I'd like a quiet system and looks like the Antec Solo is highly recommended here. One concern I have is cooling, especially with the 5850 graphics card (which just barely fits in this case I hear).

The Solo comes with a 120mm Antec TriCooler rear exhaust fan, and I was planning to install two 92mm fans in the front of the case. Would like all to be automatically thermally controlled using the Asus Fan Xpert utility which allows setting temp/speed profiles. Attached is the mobo fan connector diagram. My thoughts are to plug the cpu fan (3pin) into CHA_FAN2 (3pin) and the Antec TriCooler (4pin) into CPU_FAN (4pin). But not sure how I'm going to hookup the two 92mm fans as there is only one 4pin fan connection left (CHA_FAN1). Assuming I'll need PWM 92mm fans for this 4 pin connection. Is there a 4pin splitter cable available?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
tds

tds

Post by tds » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:51 pm

Got a note that I need 3 posts before I'm able to post diagrams or links. I'll try posting the diagram on my next reply.

tds

tds

Post by tds » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:52 pm

1 more time.

tds

Post by tds » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:52 pm

Hopefully I can post a link now.

[img]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h243/tds1/fan.jpg

tds[/img]

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:13 pm

You can hook up a 3 pin fan to a 4 pin connector. If needed (in your case) you can use a 3 pin splitter, and connect that to the 4 pin connector - on the other side hook up the two 92 mm fans.

You can see in your pic:
the 4 pin connectors have a guiding pin which is the same as on a 3 way pin, and 1 pin gets left out, it's hard to hook it up the wrong way.

Maybe the manual says which connector is best suited for which type of fan (front/rear/CPU).

tds

Post by tds » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:33 pm

spookmineer,

Thanks, I didn't know that. Then I think the connections that would work for me are cpu fan (3pin) to CPU_FAN (4pin) connector, TriCooler 4pin to CHA_FAN1 (4pin), and I found a 3pin splitter to connect the 2 92mm fans (3pin, non-pwm) to the CHA_FAN2 (3pin).

The board must control the fan speed by voltage on all but the CPU_FAN. Now I just have to pick out some nice quiet 92mm fans as they are in the front and may be the most noticeable noise wise.

Thanks again.

tds

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:26 pm

tds wrote:TriCooler 4pin to CHA_FAN1 (4pin)
The Antec Tri-Cool fans that come with Antec cases do not have 4-pin fan connectors (which are normally PWM fan connectors), but instead are fitted with molex power connectors and a selectable speed switch.

You won't be able to control this fan via the Asus program, as it does not connect to the motherboard at all. The TriCool's molex connector is connected directly to the power supply. FWIW, most people here find the low setting on the TriCool as a little too loud, especially if the rest of their system is quiet. You might want to consider looking into another quiet 120mm fan from Nexus or Scythe instead for your rear exhaust.

You should be able to use your BIOS settings to change the CPU fan header control method to voltage instead of PWM. This way, you could plug your CPU cooler fan into the CPU header and have it ramp up or down with CPU temps.

For your front fans, I would look into buying 2 x Nexus Real Silent 92mm case fans. They are not PWM fans, but they are fairly quiet, particularly if you can use voltage control in your BIOS to lower the voltage to these fans. Scythe and Noctua also make some quiet 92mm fans.

I think you're pretty much right with your connections though:
- CPU fan on CPU_FAN header (change setting BIOS to voltage control if necessary)
- 2 x front fans on CHA_FAN2 header with Y splitter cable

(And if you go with a replacement rear exhaust fan to replace the TriCool)

- rear exhaust fan on CHA_FAN1 header

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:47 am

The Antec Solo rarely needs front fans. You might consider running only the tri-cool initially.

tds

Post by tds » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:06 am

JamieG, I heard back from ASUS and you are correct that the mobo fan connectors are voltage controlled. I found on antec's site that the Tricool has a 4pin (Molex?) adapter attached that can be removed to reveal a 3pin that can be plugged into the board and as spookmineer mentioned, I can plug that into a 4pin connector (CPU_FAN) and it will be controlled.

Here's the reference on the Tricooler 3pin.

http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/tricool_install.html

I looked into the fans you mentioned and the Noctua 93mm look impressive very quiet and move a lot of air at lower speed than others, for a price though. I may get the Noctua 120mm for the rear if the Tricooler doesn't work out.

Michael, That's good to know regarding the solo possibly not needing a front fan. As Newegg doesn't sell the Noctua 92mm, I may hold off on purchasing it elsewhere to see if it's needed.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Ted

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:10 am

Another fan you have to consider is Scythe's S-Flex. They're as quiet and much more affordable than those Noctuas, and are just as reliable.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:36 pm

Hi Ted

From what I know, the site you linked to is for the retail version of the Antec TriCool. I am the owner of two Antec cases myself and unless Antec has changed something recently, the fans that come stock with their cases are not the retail version. The version of the TriCool fan that comes with Antec cases only come with a molex power connector. There is no 3 pin connector.

If you look carefully at this picture from a review of a different Antec case, you can see that the case fan that comes with the case only has a molex connector (the white connector with two wires coming from the fan).

Hope this helps.

tds

Post by tds » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:03 pm

JamieG,

Thanks for validating that. Antec should include more detailed information on their website. I'm going to submit a questions on their website to get an answer. But likely will replace it with a quieter fan.

Parappaman, After doing some research, I am tending to agree with you. I think the Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 1200rpm, looks good. It pushes more air than the Noctua and appears nearly as quiet. May still go with one Noctua 92mm up front, as this is the fan most noticeable noise-wise.

Thanks,
Ted

tds

Post by tds » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:18 pm

JamieG, You are correct. I found the case manual under the support section of the Antec website. The 120mm TriCooler Fan shipped with the case is a "large" 4pin connector that is to be connected to the PSU. No mention of an adapter for 3pin. Definitely will be replacing this, if only for temp control.

Ted