panaflo and RPM ?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rhendrix9

panaflo and RPM ?

Post by rhendrix9 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:51 am

I have a panaflo FBA08A12L with 3 wires running from it. I thought i could/should get an RPM reading from it. I don't.
I started using speedfan and I still can't control it.

Right now I'm waiting for a nexus so I just stuck in a Zalman ZM-F1. I get an RPM reading but I can't control it with SpeedFan, I had to stick on thier resistor plug.

I thought I had found the perfect fan controller (speedfan), but now I'm confused as to why I can't conrol this fan.

Oh, I use speedfan to control the CPU fan and the exhaust fan, it's the intake fan (front) that I can't control.
thanks

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:03 am

Hi

This maybe caused by the simple fact, that all of the motherboard fan headers are not able to control the fan, just able to read the fan.

My Asus A7V880 board has two fan headers (CPU/Chassis), but I can only control a fan with the CPU header, the chassis header is only for RPM sensing, even though it has 3 pins in it.

Hope this helps.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:47 am

I don't know my Panaflo model numbers too well anymore, but it could also be a two wire fan that has a three wire lead on it. I've run into a couple of those on the standard Panaflo L1A.

rhendrix9

Post by rhendrix9 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:26 am

It seems to be the same controller as the other fans winbond W83627THF,
plus it shows up in the bios like one that it can control (there is only three on the list and it's one of them). I guess I could swap headers and see for sure.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:40 am

I don't know why you can't control the fan, but I can tell you why you're not getting RPM out.

Most, if not all 80mm L1As have no RPM reporting circuitry. In fact, that's inherent in the name. If it had RPM circuitry, it would be L1BX. The Medium speed panaflows DO have RPM out, and they're referred to as M1BX (though M1A is easier to read and remember, so I tend to use them interchangeably).