Panaflo Problem

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Motts

Panaflo Problem

Post by Motts » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:12 pm

Hi, I tried searching but the results were useless. Im hoping someone can help me out. I recently bought a Panaflo 80mm fan to use as my CPU cooler and now when I boot up it says I have a CPU Fan Error even though the fan is working fine. I have an Asus K8V Se motherboard and it has the Asus Probe feature in windows. When I look it says my CPU Fan RPM is 0. I wondering why the fan is regestering with my MB since it is defintly working fine.

Thank you very much.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:21 pm

There are two possible causes for this.
  1. You have a fan with only two wires. So it doesn't send a speed signal to the mobo.
  2. You have a fan with three wires, but your fan is spinning so slow the mobo can't read the signal.
Either is not really a problem. You know the fan works. As long as your CPU temps are fine everything is OK.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:17 pm

If you got the L1A, it doesn't support RPM out.

brianLp518

Post by brianLp518 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:55 pm

turn off RPM monitoring in your BIOS... usually under "pc health", but somewhere in there... turn it off and u're bios'll be happy

P.S.
Make sure u're gettin a good rpm on your panaflo to keep everything going, cuz now u don't have RPM monitoring!

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:39 pm

3 replies and no one welcomed Motts to SPCR Forums? Jeez.

So it falls on my shoulders then. Motts, welcome to SPCR Forums!

The answers are correct. One other possibility (remote, I must admit) is that you have a fan with tach output, but you don't have the 3 wire cable.

Asus MBs like high fan RPMs. My CNPS7000 at the lowest fanmate setting is always causing the motherboard to complain.

Anyway, with Asus it is easy to turn off the alarm in the BIOS.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:28 am

OK, OK. It was late last night, so I didn't notice it was his fist post.
Welcome to SPCR

Motts

Post by Motts » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:28 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome. To be honest I wasnt even expecting any kind of welcoming. Thanks again. This is truly an amazing site.

Well I do have a three pin harness. Yellow, Red, Black. I assumed Yellow was power, Red (which is sometimes blue is RPM signal), and Black was ground. Wasnt sure, just a guess. Since the middle wire was red and my other fans was blue I thought maybe the Panaflo didnt have an signal wire. But I dont know what else it could be.

I dont have it hooked to any fan controller at the time but are you saying the Panaflos normal RPM is just too low for the Motherboard? Maybe Ill see if there is a update for that. Very interesting.

I guess Ill have to give in and turn the error message off for now. Its very annoying hitting F1 every time you start your computer.

Thanks again.

frankgehry

What's the model number

Post by frankgehry » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:11 am

M,

What's the model number of your panaflo? Does your power supply have a speed wire that connects to the mb? My asus board uses the speed wire from the power supply to adjust the cpu fan. You can adjust it in the bios to run at 50, 60, 70, 80, 90% of the psu fan speed. - FG

cpemma

Post by cpemma » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:15 pm

I've the Asus A7N8X-E deluxe; the bios won't show fans with rpm under about 2000, so I've two not showing. MBM reports them fine, 1795 & 1895 ATM. Speedfan displays double the 'true' value. :roll:

I've a fairly recent bios flash, still no fix. :cry:
I assumed Yellow was power, Red (which is sometimes blue is RPM signal), and Black was ground.
Yellow (sometimes white, etc.) is the sensor, Red=12V, Black=0V. Even with the third wire, it's not forced to be connected to anything internally and could also be a 'locked rotor' alarm rather than speed. As said, quote the number - the last few characters cover any sensor details.

frankgehry

Q-fan

Post by frankgehry » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:20 pm

M,

I don't know much about your specific board however it does have Qfan just like mine. If I wanted to turn off Qfan which I believe is causing the error message, I would go into the bios as the computer is starting up, go to the Qfan setting for the cpu fan and turn it off.

Also it seems weird that the board will only report fan speeds > 2000. I'm not sure about that, because a lot of fans just don't go up to 2000 rpm. You should look at your manual to find out more about Qfan.

What is the model of you panaflo? Not that I question that yours has 3 wires, but not many do, so I have a feeling someone put three wires on when really the third wire is not doing anything. What about you power supply? What kind is it and does it have fan speed sensing and is the speed wire connected to the motherboard. More info otherwise we are all just guessing. - FG

The dealer typically puts the wiring harness on unlike other fans which come from the factory with a harness.

Motts

Post by Motts » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:33 pm

Okay I checked the info you all requested.

The Panaflo is Model: FBA08A12L and its one that is made in China. There are three wires going into the fan motor and three on the plug.

I have an Antec True 430 PSU and yes it does have an RPM output wire. I thought you connect that wire to a fan controller and that allows the controller to slow the RPMs of the PSU fans?

My computer is in pieces so Ill have to wait on the Qfan setting in the bios but I dont remember seeing that in there. I definitly could be wrong but that wasnt one of the options I remember.

Oh, looking at the panaflo again I see labels next to the three pins coming out of the motor. They are: Red=+, Black=-, Yellow=S.

Im thinking that the S stans for speed and therefore it has it. I actually emailed Asus about the problem and asked about the low RPM problem but I agree that not being able to read fans under 2000 RPM seems pretty dumb.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:50 pm

I have an L1A sitting right on my desk with a '+ - S' label. It doesn't mean diddly, apparently.

The important information is actually right above the FBA08A12L line. You should see a bunch of numbers and a -1A or perhaps if you're lucky, -1BX. If you have the 1A, it MAY have RPM out (like a 0.01% chance, IMHO). If it says BX there, then you most definitely have RPM-out, and your motherboard is being screwy.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:51 pm

Motts wrote:I have an Antec True 430 PSU and yes it does have an RPM output wire. I thought you connect that wire to a fan controller and that allows the controller to slow the RPMs of the PSU fans?
The RPM wire is used to monitor how fast the fans are spinning, you cannot control the fans with it. Fans that can be controlled will have the middle wire that provides power.

Your fan should have sensing - "Optional third lead wire signal (Locked rotor alarm sensor, 2PPR)" - but many places offer it in a 2-wire version.
The fan alarm should disable if you choose to ignore the speed in any case (although I haven't tried myself).

frankgehry

rpm wire from power supply

Post by frankgehry » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:49 pm

I don't know how your system is set up but the rpm wire from the power supply is used by the main board to control the cpu fan. When the psu fans speed up the cpu fan speeds up. This is on asus boards with Qfan and I'm sure it works that way on other boards as well. - FG

Oh I see. The speed wire from the psu is not to control the psu fans, its to let the mb know how fast the psu fans are spinning so it can control the cpu fan. The fan controller inside the psu controls the psu fans based on how hot the psu is.

The panaflows have a removeable wiring harness so you can put a 3 wire harness on or a two wire. Dealers often ask if you want the to install a tail and if you specify 3 wire they will put a 3 wire tail on a two wire fan. Someone put a 3 wire on your two wire L1A. Most fans do not allow you to change harnesses so easily if at all. I quickly read this post, but Qfan is a real big deal for asus so I'm sure you have it and it should be in your manual.
Last edited by frankgehry on Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:59 pm

Asus QFan doesn't use the PSU RPM fan - at least, I can't find any reference to it. I have it on without it and it ramps down according to system temps, everything I have seen that references it talks about temperatures / system loading.

cpemma

Re: Q-fan

Post by cpemma » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:10 pm

frankgehry wrote:Also it seems weird that the board will only report fan speeds > 2000. I'm not sure about that, because a lot of fans just don't go up to 2000 rpm.
From the FAQ sticky on the (unofficial) Asus N-Force forum
Q. When i turn on my computer i keep hearing "CPU fan failed!" error, but my CPU fan is still running. What is going on?
A. There are 2 possibilities here:
The BIOS only recognizes a fan is connected when its RPM's are greater then 2000. This is a limitation of the BIOS and if memory serves me correctly is indeed being looked into by ASUS, and lower RPM values should be added at a later date
...or...
Your CPU fan doesn’t have an RPM monitoring wire for your fan, this wire is usually white or yellow. With the red wire being positive and the black wire being ground.

Either way, you can live with it, or disable the voice errors by following the instructions in the previous question.
Vast majority of heatsinks have 60mm fans clocking well over 2000rpm. Asus certainly don't see it as a priority problem. Not on an older board model, anyway. With new boards YMMV.

frankgehry

rpm wire from psu

Post by frankgehry » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:19 pm

I couldn't find anything about QFan using the rpm wire from the psu so I quess I'm wrong on that one.

I do have a panaflo 92mm that has -1BX above the line with the model number and it does have three bare leads going into the fan hub after the connector.

My asus PG5D2 reads the psu fan speed at around 1100 rpm and the cpu fan is around 800 rpm so I guess this just happens on some boards.

Motts

Post by Motts » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:54 pm

Here is the reply from Asus:

Dear Friend :
Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is Bingo and I would be assisting you today.
The system could detect the revolution when your cpu fan below 2400 RPM, maybe the Panasonic Panaflo 80mm fan need too much electricity and the motherboard couldn't fulfil, so I suggest that you'd better swap another type of the cpu fan to try.
If having any problems, please don't hesitate to let me know. Let's discuss this issue together.
Thank you for using ASUS products and enjoying ASUS services!

I have -1J above the numbers I listed before. I understand now that it is easy to switch plugs between 2 and 3 and thats most likely what was done. It also makes sense that you control the fan speed by decreasing the voltage I dont know why I was getting that confused before. The signal wire simply tells how fast the fan is spinning. Ill have to look into how to use the rpm wire from the PSU. I guess plugging it into my fan controller to see the RPM is pretty pointless. Thanks for the help.