tbalancer questions

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mikeraach

tbalancer questions

Post by mikeraach » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:14 pm

Can the tbalancer control 2 fans with 1 sensor? Such as, if the cpu heats up, it increases cpu fan and intake fan?

What about 1 fan gets controlled by 2 sensors? Such as, sensor on cpu, and another on hd. If cpu gets 50C, fan increses, or if hd fan reaches 40C, fan increases.

Thanks.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:18 pm

Hi Mike,

Yes, you can control two fans with one sensor, no problem here.

But one fan controlled by two sensors, well almost. You can set two sensors to one fan's temperature response. But the fan is controlled by the highest temp from either one. Because the CPU is most likely most of time hotter than the HDD, the CPU sensor controls the mostly the speed of the fan.

So if a HDD is 40C and the CPU 50C, the CPU's temp sets the fan speed to the level that it is ordered in the response curve. If the HDD temp rises to 49C and the CPU stays at 50C, the fan speed is still at the 50C level, because the higher temperature defines the fan spped. One fan has only one temperature response curve, even if the response curve uses data from multiple sensors.

Damn that's hard to explain... :?

mikeraach

Post by mikeraach » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:47 pm

You explained it perfectly.

Thanks for clearing that up.

BTW, how do you like yours?

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:16 am

Nice to know I make sense once in a while... :D

I have sort of mixed feelings about it. Don't get me wrong, I think it's the best fan controller out there. I like the possibility to use different profiles (semi-passive / normal, for example) and it allows you to monitor different changes in fan or cooling setups; how they affect the CPU temp, PSU temp etc. But the wiring is total hell!

If you are going to buy or already have it, I suggest you go for the analog sensors; they react almost instantly to temperature changes. The digital are ok for HDDs etc, but if you can buy a package that has only the analog sensors, go for that one. It also enables shutdowns etc on your system.

I used two analog sensors for my 120mm PSU, on on the heatsink and the other for one exhaust air. It was amazing to notice how much the CPU exhaust air entering the PSU affected the temperatures. After some modifications to my system, I can't get the PSU temps to rise to the same levels as they were before, even with very little airflow :D It's really good for silencing noobies like me, you get a feel on the temperature limits, giving direction which way to go.

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:51 am

The mCubed on-line shop offers the possibility to get the T-Balancer with analog sensors only, so you don't have to pay for the digital ones. I noticed they also sell a version with only 1 sensor, supposedly so you can use it in conjunction with MBM monitoring software to read the various temps. IMO that mostly negates the T-Balancers strong point: the ability to control fans autonomously, without the need to run software.

I recommend the analog ones as well for the same reasons Aleksi mentioned. I also suggest getting the non-PCI version (the one encased in perspex), since it gives you much greater placement and wiring freedom. Following ultraboy, I also disconnected the rpm monitoring wires that you can connect between the unit and the motherboard which alleviates the wiring "hell" at least a little. The values the T-Bal gives out feel mostly fake anyway and you can have the T-Bal monitor fan blockage for you.

Finally, after having to unplug the USB cable several times for driver/firmware upgrades, I have routed the internal USB cable in such a way that I have the included cable extender piece in an easy-to-reach spot in my case. That way, I can unplug the T-Bal without powering down and/or fiddling with cables attached to the unit.

mikeraach

Post by mikeraach » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:09 am

Ya I'd definatly not get the pci version, or the digital sensors. I have a fan controller (with temp analog sensors) that work really nice because how small they are, those digital things are huge!

On mcube's site I can either just select the tbalancer and opt for a sensor hub with 6 sensors (and only 1 digital) for 62EUR, or I can just get the TBAN-XL | KTC for 58EUR that has 3 analog sensors.

I really only need a sensor on my cpu (control cpu fan which I'm planning to duct to exhaust to kill two birds with one stone and control the intake fan), another in my psu to thermal control its fan, and maybe one on my vid card (I already have a vga silencer on my 6800gt, its fairly quiet, but it makes some clicking and I'm thinking of getting a zalman heatsink to replace it---which I can then use in conjuction with the tbal).

Does this setup sound good?

Becks

Post by Becks » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:05 pm

"But one fan controlled by two sensors, well almost. You can set two sensors to one fan's temperature response. But the fan is controlled by the highest temp from either one. Because the CPU is most likely most of time hotter than the HDD, the CPU sensor controls the mostly the speed of the fan.
"

Well a hack way to get around that... (thats not perfect) is you can calibrate the sensors so they are displaying higher values than real life
cpu real life = 40, you want it to ramp up at 50
hd real life is = 30 adn you want it to ramp at 40

calibrate the hd fan to read 10C higher, so it'll be displaying 40c when the hd is 30c... that way when the hd gets to 40c in real life, it will be displaying 50c and will ramp the fan up.

Kinda gets around the problem but is sorta ugly and not perfect.

MagnusT

Post by MagnusT » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:55 pm

What wire mess? Not that bad is it? :wink:

I redid the wiring a couple of times before being satisfied :roll: 8)

http://tystpc.nu/pics/forum/antec3000b/overview.jpg

http://tystpc.nu/pics/forum/antec3000b/sensors.jpg

http://tystpc.nu/pics/forum/antec3000b/ ... tsoft4.jpg

http://tystpc.nu/pics/forum/slk3000b_results.gif

Moderator Edit: Linked large pictures

MagnusT Edit: Ooops. Sorry.