my stock CPU FAN runs at 5120 RPM!!

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

belkincp

my stock CPU FAN runs at 5120 RPM!!

Post by belkincp » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:28 pm

Is that normal?? cpu is 50c usually... im pretty sure this is the main noise maker.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:22 pm

Your CPU fan runs at 5000rpm yet the CPU idles at 50C?! :shock: Have you got CoolnQuiet turned on?

qviri

Post by qviri » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:54 pm

That means that either your stock heatsink is mounted incorrectly or that your lack of exhaust case fan is hurting you. Probably the latter. Your CPU is not hot enough to get this warm on its own.

Runn3r

Post by Runn3r » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:01 pm

Depends on the ambient temperature.

If you are in SUMMER and the ambient temps are in the 30's (degrees Celsius) then idling at 50 deg C is not excessive

It is also dependent on the motherboard.

HIgh end motherboards with powerful chipsets will keep the CPU 'active' far more than a mid range or low end motherboard.

Similarly for high end CPUs...

For example, my 975 intel board runs 'hotter' than my 945 asrock/intel board ... both are in the same room and use the SAME CPU (E6600)

regards
Runn3r

belkincp

i t coudl be

Post by belkincp » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:16 pm

that the ambiant temp in my room is already around 80 farenheit...
and my doors is always closed...cus i share apt with ppl..and i have the computer in my closet to dampe nthe sound a little.....overall..even when computer is outside of the closet and rpm is only 2500..my computer is more noisy..because of the face its closer to my ear and is not damped at all.....when its not in closet..sounds like a car engine..when in my closet sounds..like a car engine in my closet...

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:47 am

my doors is always closed
That could be part of the problem, you have no source of fresh air into your room, so the computer just pumps heat into the air with nowhere to go.

So are you still using the AMD stock heatsink that came with the CPU? The first thing to do is either to slow down the fan on the CPU or if this does not provide sufficient cooling, get a new heatsink + fan. You still didn't say whether you have CoolnQuiet turned on.

qviri

Post by qviri » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:04 am

I still think that the lack of case fan is the first and foremost problem here...

Kremmit

Post by Kremmit » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:27 am

If the fan runs twice as fast when it's in the closet, then the closet is obviously overheating your computer due to lack of fresh air.

If your computer's so loud you have to put it in a closet to cut the noise, then your computer's obviously too loud.

You need to quiet your computer so you can take it out of the closet. In order to quiet the computer, you need to find out why it's so loud in the first place. Either you've got excessivly noisy components, or you've got really lousy airflow, which is causing fans that could work quietly to spin too fast and make too much noise. Or, both. If you want help, a description of your system would be good, pics would be better.

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:53 pm

Are you using thermal goo between your heatsink and your processor? I know it seems simple, but sometimes people can miss even the simple things. Don't just slather it on - use a tiny amount (about the size of a BB) and spread it thin. If your stock CPU heatsink and fan came with thermal interface material pre-installed, that should be fine.

You could probably use a slow case fan as well. Get an Evercool Ever Green fan in the size that fits your case. If that's noisy for you (as if any 5000RPM fan wouldn't be), then get a Zalman Fan Mate controller. Also, check to see if your motherboard's BIOS has an automatic fan control function, as many modern motherboards do. 5000RPM sounds like full speed for one of those fans, so making it cooler wouldn't help anything if there isn't some sort of automatic control or a manual fan controller like a Fan Mate 1. Get those temperatures down first, though.

belkincp

my speedfan

Post by belkincp » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:12 pm

my speedfan determiens what rpm i need...it works well... I took off the side panel and put my case on its right panel side..so the cpu fans heat can naturally rise up into the closets ceiling...worked a lttle..my cpu is now staying at 4096 at full.

I have aspire infinity case...I dont have the fans on because thoughs are almost as loud as my cpu...

Im still not sure how ait works....becuase somer ppl say u shouldnt leave ur panel open...
for me the panel definitly helped to cool my computer a little....

im thinking the past thing would be to get a solo antec...and just get quiet 120mm nexus fans in it and have the panel closed..and that would prolly keep the case cooler than the ambiant of the closet?

what do u think?

six4withafro

Re: my speedfan

Post by six4withafro » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:24 am

belkincp wrote:my speedfan determiens what rpm i need...it works well... I took off the side panel and put my case on its right panel side..so the cpu fans heat can naturally rise up into the closets ceiling...worked a lttle..my cpu is now staying at 4096 at full.

I have aspire infinity case...I dont have the fans on because thoughs are almost as loud as my cpu...

Not having your case fans on makes your cpu run hotter.

Im still not sure how ait works....becuase somer ppl say u shouldnt leave ur panel open...

People don't like leaving their panel open because a lot more dust gets into your computer.

im thinking the past thing would be to get a solo antec...and just get quiet 120mm nexus fans in it and have the panel closed..and that would prolly keep the case cooler than the ambiant of the closet?

That is impossible with air cooling. Your intake fans/vents get their air from the closet (and exhaust hot air into the closet), so your case will be at least as hot as the closet.

To give you an idea, I use my computer to heat my average-sized bedroom. My computer is a few inches above the floor, so it takes in the coolest air in the room. That air is heated as it cools my components. Once the air is exhausted from the case into my room, it rises while it heats my room (and cools down as it does so). Once it has cooled off, it sinks back towards the floor. Think of the air around and in your machine as a thing (like pieces of paper), if you need help picturing it in your head.

what do u think?
Not wanting to hear your computer because it's too loud is fine. People are suggesting that you buy quieter fans because no matter what you do, you really need to get the case out of the hot, fresh-air-lacking closet. Since it's way too loud right now, and you really need to get it out of the closet, you need to buy quieter fans and/or a new case.

Kremmit

Re: my speedfan

Post by Kremmit » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:44 am

belkincp wrote: I have aspire infinity case...I dont have the fans on because thoughs are almost as loud as my cpu...

If your case cools better with the side open than with it closed, then your airflow is not what it should be. Proper, directed airflow in sufficient amounts will cool your processor and case better than a simple open side panel. The fact that you're running with no case fans might have something to do with this.

1. Buy new, quiet fans for your case and processor. Turn them on. Also, if you're using a lousy heatink on your processor, get a better one.

2. That's probably enough right there.